Can certain food reduce the appearance of cellulite?

By October 14, 2009 - 9:56am

I recently noticed cellulite developing on my arms, and the cellulite on my legs are getting worse. I soon will be visiting my physician to get a full physical, and consulting with a nutritionist to find out more about how I can start living a healthier life style. What do you suggest?

Hi tikishia

Thanks for your question - it's a great one!

There is no one-size-fits-all 'cure' for cellulite. In fact, there is no total cure for it at all; even methods that work only work as long as you keep up the treatments. When you stop, the cellulite returns.

I believe in that massage can really help, and so can exercises and other treatments. For more on this, click here : http://www.empowher.com/news/herarticle/2009/04/01/how-get-rid-cellulite-naturally?page=0,0

and here : http://www.empowher.com/community/share/my-cellulite-disappearing

As far as foods are concerned, there are definitely some to avoid because they dehydrate the body - alcoholic and coffee being two culprits.

Foods to eat are typically fresh and healthy : Berries- blueberries, strawberries, raspberries and blackberries. Fresh apples, oranges and mango are also good to eat and peppers, spinach and carrots are good, in terms of veggies.

Drink plenty of water to keep your body hydrated and stay away from fizzy drinks (soda pop), as much as you can.

A combination of a healthy, mainly unprocessed diet, alongside targeting troubled areas through exercise will be your best bet.

One other thing to note is that you could have the healthiest diet in the world, and work out like a champ - and still have cellulite. Most women have it (often regardless of their weight) and sometimes it's just a part of them and near impossible to remove. So don't beat yourself up about it - just do your best to stay healthy and work out using specific exercises.

I hope this helps you!