Can disseminated valley fever cause afib 20 years later?

I had disseminated valley fever when I was 12 and about 22 years later I developed lone afib. I have had this off and on for the last 20 years when it suddenly developed into atrial flutter and tachycardia. I had a atrial flutter ablation which stopped the flutter and tachycardia but I still have afib about three times a week - the rate is slower and the afib doesn't last as long. I was just trying to figure out, why me and wondered if there could be a connection to my valley fever. It had spread throughout my body I missed all of 7th grade and part of 8th grade. In reading up onthis type of valley fever, it says it can cause heart inflammation. Anyone else have this relationship or info?

Anon - Thanks for your question. According to the Mayo Clinic, disseminated disease is the most serious complication of valley fever, also known as coccidioidomycosis. If the fungus that causes this spreads (disseminates) throughout the body, it can cause problems ranging from skin ulcers and abscesses to bone lesions, severe joint pain, heart inflammation, urinary tract problems and meningitis. The concern about these types of reactions, however, is during the period in which the person is initially diagnosed and being treated for disseminated valley fever, not later in life.

If you want to find out if you had any type of cardiac complications when you were 12 the best way to find out would be to get your medical records from that time, if they are still available.

It sounds like you're trying to figure out why you have heart disease. The most significant risk factors include aging, heredity and lifestyle. You can learn more here: http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=4726

Please let us know if you have additional questions.

Anonymous (reply to Pat Elliott)

Unfortunately I knew all of this. My cardiologist actually said that with disseminated VF you can get it back even after 20 years and that there could be a coorelation with VF but there has not been enough research to rule it out. I was just wondering if anyone else with VF have had issues 20 years later. I know many people have had skin disorders - just curious about heart. Thanks for your response.

Atrial Fibrillation

Atrial Fibrillation Guide