Q: 

Can I get pregnant if I miss my birth control 3 days in a row?

By November 9, 2010 - 12:11pm

I had unprotected sex with my boyfriend on tuesday and missed my birth control wednesday, thrusday and friday. I took Saturday's pill but could I get pregnant it was during my 3rd week on that pack.

Anonymous

Hi,
I have been on birth control for theee years, I missed three consecutive days of my birth control pills. I started a new pack since I could not find my old one. I had unprotected sex and I took plan b 24 hours after. How likely am I to get pregnant.

Emergency contraceptives are up to 95% effective when taken as prescribed within the first 24 hours and up to 90% effective if taken within 72 hours, so the risk is very small. It works by preventing ovulation and stopping a pregnancy from starting. It is not an abortion pill. It prevents a pregnancy, it does not end one. Side effects can include stomach aches, headaches, breast pain, nausea and a general feeling of being unwell.
The more frequently they are taken, the more likely a woman is to have side effects and an irregular cycle. They should be taken only for emergencies, not used as a method of birth control.
Symptoms usually start 2-7 days after taking the medication and may or may not include bleeding or spotting. Not all women get symptoms. Some get many, or a few, or none. If a woman doesn’t get her next period within a week of it’s expected date, a pregnancy test may be necessary although the risk is very low. Periods can often be delayed or longer/shorter as a result of taking emergency contraception. We cannot predict this for our readers in terms of length of delays. Each women is different. Periods should get back to normal by the second cycle after.

Anonymous

I've been on birth control since I was 15 I am now 24. My boyfriend and I are wanting to try and get pregnant. I recently stoped taking my birth control the 3rd week of my pills. I believe I only took three pills that week. I am now 3 days late on my period, which I'm never late. Could I be pregnant? Or is it to soon to tell? I have no signs of a period. I took a pregnany test day one of missed period and it was negative. But I didn't think just not taking 3 pills would have my period all of wack.

Guide (reply to Anonymous)

It seems early to be off of birth control and conceive.

Wait at least one month with no period before testing.

Anonymous

Hi. I've been using birth control for about 4-5 years now. I take estrogen 2.5 or 1.5 something like that. I recently skipped 3 days in a row of my pills one week after my menstrual cycle. I had unprotected sex last night, would it be possible for me to be pregnant?? Or are my chances very slim because of my body adapting to the pills for so long?

Guide (reply to Anonymous)

You can calculate your risk of becoming pregnant by looking at how many pills you miss and when you miss them.

Seven consecutive days without an active pill puts you at high risk.

Missing three active pills during week two and your partner not wearing a condom and if last night was a night you missed a pill, there is a moderate risk.

Regards,

Anonymous

Hi ,

Iv missed my pill for the last 5 days and had unprotected sex with my husband. Usually after 3 days of missing the pill I have a period. Could I be pregnant?

Anonymous

Hello,
I was in my third week of my pill pack and had unprotected sex with my husband. I then missed taking my pill for 3 days (I got sick and was not well flu) I started bleeding and was like wow im not supposed to start for a few more days. I also took all the pills I missed to catch back up and I had 3 more pills left in the 3rd row and that stopped my bleeding but then going into the 4th row I started bleeding again but it was spotting I guess (I use the Diva Cup so I had some blood but not enough like a normal period at all). I have been feeling sick and a loss of apatite and similar issues that I remember from past pregnancy's but I just don't know if I am pregnant or its all just some germs that were lingering from the flu that hit the house.

Any incite to my issue is appreciated. I also plan on taking a test but don't know the best time to take that and I have to start a new pill pack in a few days but I think it may be to early to test. Would I cause harm by starting my pill pack and then testing 1-2 weeks after just in case its negative I am still protected ???

Thank you for helping!!

Guide (reply to Anonymous)

Before you do anything else, please call and speak with your gynecologist

Regards,
Maryann.

Anonymous

Hi, I had a quick question during my 3 week of my birth control I missed three pills without realizing it (Thursday, Friday and Saturday ) but I was missing a pill here and there on two packs worth. on Saturday my boyfriend and I had unprotected sex as usual. Today Tuesday I have super light pink bleeding, very light o tissue paper but not on pad and slight cramping. Could I possibly get pregnant?

Tags: