Can you give me information about what we survivors call "chemo brain"?

By Anonymous February 6, 2010 - 4:11pm

I used to think the term "chemo brain" was a joke, but I've been having this memory problem and somewhat of a "brain fog" for several years now and it seems to be getting worse. It mostly conserns my short-term memory loss. I can't find information on this or how to get any help. I can't even find a doctor who can diagnose this and they all seem to see me as a "nut." Please help!

Thank you so much, Susan! Now that I know what medical terms to use, maybe they'll take me more seriously! I didn't get a chance to see the vidi=eo because my speakers are not working. Hopefully, I can put in new speakers tomorrow! But thanks, this has helped me a lot.

Dear Anon

Thanks so much for finding us and you are absolutely NOT a nut. 'Chemo brain' is real and shame on doctors and nurses for not even knowing what it was!

I'd like you to watch this short video first, about this condition :

Most cases of chemo brain are short term but there are many instances of suffering long term effects. This is known as chemotherapy-induced cognitive impairment.

We have a really great article on this that will help you a lot. Please take a look at it here : http://www.empowher.com/news/herarticle/2009/08/18/chemo-brain-studies-underway-0

It covers the studies being done on chemo brain as well as the real life experiences of other women.

Additionally, I'd like you to read one of our readers first hand account of her experience with chemo brain. Following her story are many more stories from our readers who have gone (or are going) through the very same thing you are: http://www.empowher.com/community/share/chemo-brain-its-not-all-my-head

I know I've given you a lot to look at but please read all the information at your leisure and let me know if it helps you. And don't forget we're here for additional help and lots of support.

We wish you the very best and we look forward to hearing from you soon. You've fought a brave battle with cancer and you are so not crazy. Help is out there and we'll assist you in finding it!