Can you shave clean before getting electrolysis?

I have some embarrassing hair that grows on my chin and jaw. It is terrible because I have to shave every day, sometimes twice a day so it isn't noticeable to my boyfriend. It's gotten to the point where I have to have it permanently removed, and as soon as possible.
I need to know if I can shave my face clean even on the day that I would have an electrolysis appointment? I haven't made a consultation yet because of this. I can't let the hair grow out or someone will notice.

I am looking to get electrolysis on my face. What are the most accredited places in the Toronto, Canada area?

We cannot recommend salons or clinics if we have never been treated by them, worked with them or researched their backgrounds.

Your best bet is to research for this clinics on line, ask people if they have recommendations and make sure anyone who treats you is fully licensed.

Anon - I did a Google search for "electrolysis near Ottawa, ON, Canada" and was able to find multiple salons in the area and addresses. This should work for you too. Good luck. Pat

Well I live in Ottawa, Ontario and there is a school of esthetics and hairstyling close by my house, and it also provides salon services, but I'm not sure if it provides electroylsis. I've tried doing some researching but it seems like most of the salons in Ottawa that provide electroylsis are too far away from my area. Do you know any places that provide electroylsis in Ottawa?

Dear Anon

Thanks so much for your question - I know that facial hair can be an embarrassing problem for some women and I hope that the electrolysis works for you - I know that it's quite successful (and often permanent) for a lot of women.

Electrolysis machines change all the time and are getting more sophisticated. So you need to ask the person administering the procedure if you can shave the day of.

Since the hair follicle is the target of the machine, the administrator will need to be able to see where the follicle is. A clean (very clean) shave may make this a bit difficult if there is no mark left at all. But usually she will be able to see where the follicle begins.

Depending on your growth and the electrolysis machine used, you may be able to shave. Just ask her what the best procedure is for your specific case.

Do you know why you have this excessive hair growth on your face? Do you think it's genetic or perhaps you have polycysic ovarian syndrome ? Have you tried bleaching the hair or other methods?

I have the same problem with facial hair and I was also considering electroylsis. I was wondering if the electrologist shaves the hair off before the procedure, or if she inserts the electric current in the hair follicle while the hair is present, and then the hair falls out? Also I live in Canada, and I was wondering if it legal to get electroylsis done if I'm under 18?

(reply to Anonymous)

Just as Susan commented above, you would need to contact the company that you would like to use for this procedure, and ask them specifically if they shave the hair off before the procedure, as each place can differ slightly. You may also ask them about their policies and age requirements.

Do you have a place in mind for this procedure, as we can help you with your decision and some of the research.

Anonymous (reply to Alison Beaver)

Hello! I am from Jamaica and will be visiting canada for three months. I will be in Toronto North York area . I am a male I hate my facial hair even though it does not grow much. Are there any nearby place where I can get electrolysis done? Chad

You will need to do a google search and remember that electrolysis is something that can take up a year to be fully effective. It's expensive - make sure you will get the job done in a few months before signing anything.