ask: Can you use Clobetasol Propionate cream on your vagina?

Anonymous

Anonymous, I think if you use the topical steroids frequently for a long period of time you do risks causing a problem, but most of the specialists (the really knowledgeable ones about LS) will tell you to taper down slowly to about once a week for maintenance and sometimes they will even change the steroid to a lesser strength one that doesn't cause as much damage to the tissue. And some doctors don't even think putting their LS patients on the most potent one, clobetasol, from the beginning is a good idea, they will sometimes start the woman on triamcinolone - then if that doesn't work they will switch to clobetasol. If you don't overuse the steroid ointment, it won't cause any problems.

Anonymous

I'm a 27 year old female who's been dealing with the issue of mostly painful intercourse for the past 2 years, More so in the sense that certain positions will make it feel like something is tearing just below the vaginal opening. Some positions are minimal with the pain. After sex with my boyfriend the area just below the opening will be red, irritated, and have slight bumps, and sometimes(depending on the position) walking will be a pain for a few hours. After countless doctor visits I finally saw an OBGYN and she took a look and said I had Lechin Schlerosus...which I'm pretty sure that's what she says, I only remember it starting with an 'L'. She prescribed me with Clobetasol 0.5 2xs a day for 2 months for treatment and also Nortriptyline 25mg for nerve pain. Two months go by and the pain definitely subsided from sex and some positions were easier again. Went back for a visit and she wanted me to use it 2xs a day on some days and 3xs on other days until further notice. I felt that might be a bit excessive so I've just been using it here and there as needed. I also stopped the Nortriptyline as it caused dry mouth. I really didn't see the need for it to be honest. I'm getting ready for my follow up but of course my work changed insurance companies and my current doc doens't take my insurance so now I'm going to see another doctor. Irritating but I guess a relief as now I can get a second opinion as I don't like the idea of using Clobetasol on the outside of my vagina with the fear of it thinning my skin down there...I mean, wouldn't long term use be dangerous? I also fear of how having a baby would be if the skin is thin down there from using the cream. I see alot of people on here talking about using the cream 2xs a day for 2 weeks or 2 months then using it either once a day or every other day, or even as needed. I just know know what I should do. I also have to bring up that a dermatologist wasn't too thrilled to find out I was using this steroid cream on my vaginal opening for so long and wants me to use Elidel but heard it's not FDA approved and with the people it was tested on that some got skin cancer, so that doesn't sound like a good option either. I guess I just want to hear what other people are doing and I'm hoping I'll have a better insight with this new doctor I'm seeing at that revolves around women health and such.

Anonymous

I have Lichen Sclerosus. I was diagnosed a couple of years ago but believe I had it for a long time, although just a mild case until two years ago when it got really bad. I had gone to several doctors before getting the diagnosis and put on medications. It took a long time, about 4 months, to finally get some relief. I was able to find a terrific LS support group - it has tons of helpful women and tons of great information. It is on facebook "Lichen Sclerosis / Sclerosus - LS". There are two groups very similarly titled but this is the one I really found helpful....(with the forward slash in the name). https://www.facebook.com/groups/48537746157/

Anonymous

I have some rare skin problem on the outer are of the vagina my doctors were all pretty stumped. They were ready to send me to of of m collage to see if I could get the terrible pain to go away,I'm 46 and my body is changing

Anonymous

Hi ...45 yrs..i have LS as well...and is using Taro-clobetasol oint0.05, however am unsure about using it as often as Dr. prescribed...as it does thin the skin...i have read all the comments here...some say thicken some say thin...i believe it thins as it is a steroid...therefore i am afraid to make matter worse :( i have used it several times...but def. don't use it twice a day for two weeks...it's been almost a year...sometimes it helps sometimes it makes it worse...it's always a battle to make the decision to use it or not! As i have read here and have been told many times no one knows the cause...but i am wondering if it has to do with hormonal changes...they say there is no cure but i believe if we find the cause we can cure! :) it is extremely difficult to live with this disease or disorder...as you all know...i have lost my relationship over this! i need to find a cure...i am wondering if any of the people on here with LS have had any trouble with vaginal glands? as just before my symptoms began i had a blocked gland that required surgery also, have anyone here with LS have an IUD for birth control...as i just had one inserted a few months before my symptoms began as well...would love to know your feedback...

I've never had trouble with glands and I've never had an IUD. Just noticed my labia turning white a few months ago. Dr. gave me clobetasol only because I insisted. I really don't have any other symptoms besides the white labia. I'm hoping it stays that way.

I didn't have any of those troubles that you did--they do guess that the source might be hormonal. I think that you should definitely talk to your doctor about your steroid fears. The way mine was prescribed, I did have to use it several times per day for the first month and then decrease the amount in the 2nd and 3rd month. That is typically the way steroids are prescribed--including oral ones--in a gradually decreasing amount. It did occur to me to that my skin might thin, as I know that is a side-effect, but it did not. In fact it got thicker and healthier, as that thin fragile skin is also a symptom of LS. Once I had gone through that initial treatment, the LS remained under control. I have occasional flare-ups and then use the steroid for a while until it calms down. As I have had a hysterectomy, I also use vaginal hormonal cream which also helps with the health of that skin. Do talk to your doctor about your concerns--I am worried that if you use less than prescribed you might not arrest the LS and it will just keep percolating on in a low-grade sort of way.

Anonymous

If it is the Taro brand, the ointment is more like a clear gel. I don't think there is any difference in the effectiveness. When I recently refilled a prescription the doctor asked me which consistency I preferred.

Anonymous

I have Lichen Sclerosus,I am using Clobetasol Cream,,would it be better the Oitment ? I am76 y.o.

same question as above.........I'm 79. and my Dr. said use 2 times per week, package reads 3 x daily........any medical people out there with an answer?

When going out in the sun, what SPF do you put on?: