Hide This

FREEHER HealthToolkit

HER Health Toolkit

Sign up for EmpowHER updates and you'll receive our
FREE HER Health Toolkit

Skin, Hair & Nails

Get Email Updates

Skin, Hair & Nails Guide

Rosa Cabrera RN

Have a question? We're here to help. Ask the Community.


Health Newsletter

Receive the latest and greatest in women's health and wellness from EmpowHER - for free!

EmpowHER Guest

ask: Can you use Clobetasol Propionate cream on your vagina?

By Anonymous
Rate This

Add a Comment62 Comments

EmpowHER Guest

I have Lichen Sclerosus,I am using Clobetasol Cream,,would it be better the Oitment ? I am76 y.o.

November 22, 2014 - 6:08pm
EmpowHER Guest
Anonymous (reply to Anonymous)

Ointment is preferred over cream for vaginal luchen sclerosus
. Creams contain more possible irritants .

November 26, 2014 - 8:01pm
EmpowHER Guest

I am 27 years old and was diagnosed with LS of the vagina in 2011. After 3 months of going back and forth to different doctors, I finally saw a dermatologist and she was able to diagnose me properly. I have been using Taro Clobetasol 0.05 cream and ointment. This medication is a God send. After initially being diagnosed and using the cream twice daily, about a month after it was under control, and soon after was gone. Now I only use it when I have a flare up, which doesn't happen often...every few months or so. The cream is applied on the outside of the vagina where the skin is not in. I hope this helps :)

November 8, 2014 - 11:12pm
EmpowHER Guest
Anonymous (reply to Anonymous)

you said;" cream and ointment", did you used 2 differents Taro-Clobetasol Tube ? Mine say Cream only,,thank you,,

November 22, 2014 - 6:16pm
EmpowHER Guest

If you are usimg this medication in your vaginal area, is it safe to have sex?

October 1, 2014 - 4:55am
EmpowHER Guest

I just went to the OBGYN today for a pain that I always have when I am having sex. It also itches. She told me it is a little crack in my skin. It is near the hymen, so very near the opening of my vagina. I am experiencing slight burning at the moment, however not on the applied place. It is inside my vagina it seems, very slight, but noticeable and uncomfortable. I am thinking, what if the cream went into my vagina and is causing irritation? It is a steroid, after all. That makes me uneasy, especially in such a delicate and confusing area. I am really worried that I will never get this fixed, especially if this cream doesn't work out. Please give me answers if you think you can help. :(

August 7, 2013 - 3:51am
EmpowHER Guest
Anonymous (reply to Anonymous)

Clotrimazole and Betamethasone Dipropionate Cream - this is VERY soothing for cracked vaginal skin and antifungal too. I never leave home w/o it!!

August 14, 2013 - 1:22pm
EmpowHER Guest


August 7, 2013 - 3:49am
EmpowHER Guest

Hi! I'm one of the older women the doctors are telling you about. In Aug.2012, my nurse practitioner prescribed clobetasol for an itching and burning breaking out on my right shoulder blade. It works really well. Today I have the same breaking out on my upper left leg at my panty line. I used it and already feel relief. I break out like this in different parts of my bod when I am under a lot of stress. A word of caution, however, it is a steroid and steroids weaken the immune system. I have to be especially careful because I have fluconasol nasal spray (steroid), and anusol hc suppositories (steroid). I have even been prescribed steroid eyedrops in the past which are very expensive, but that was only once a few years ago. I only use these when absolutely needed, which is not very often...maybe a couple times a year. For dryness in my eyes I now break open a fish oil capsule and apply a couple drops with my fingers...make sure hands are sanitized. I am a firm believer in vitamin and mineral supplements and probiotics during these stressful periods. Good luck to everyone. I am 67 years old. I have enjoyed reading all your comments.

March 15, 2013 - 6:16am
EmpowHER Guest

Clobetasol is a high-potency steroid which is usually meant for external use only. It is used for many skin conditions which may affect the vulva and cause pain and itching. As most of the nerve endings are just outside the vaginal opening it would not be of much use internally in any case! Unless instructed specifically by your doctor, you should only outside the vaginal opening.

February 4, 2013 - 10:57pm
Enter the characters shown in the image.
By submitting this form, you agree to EmpowHER's terms of service and privacy policy

All user-generated information on this site is the opinion of its author only and is not a substitute for medical advice or treatment for any medical conditions. Members and guests are responsible for their own posts and the potential consequences of those posts detailed in our Terms of Service.


1990 Health


841 Lives


718 Lives
6 lives impacted in the last 24 hrs Learn More

Take Our Featured Health Poll

When going out in the sun, what SPF do you put on?:
View Results