Skin, Hair & Nails

Skin, Hair & Nails Guide

ask: Can you use Clobetasol Propionate cream on your vagina?

Anonymous

I just went to the OBGYN today for a pain that I always have when I am having sex. It also itches. She told me it is a little crack in my skin. It is near the hymen, so very near the opening of my vagina. I am experiencing slight burning at the moment, however not on the applied place. It is inside my vagina it seems, very slight, but noticeable and uncomfortable. I am thinking, what if the cream went into my vagina and is causing irritation? It is a steroid, after all. That makes me uneasy, especially in such a delicate and confusing area. I am really worried that I will never get this fixed, especially if this cream doesn't work out. Please give me answers if you think you can help. :(

Clotrimazole and Betamethasone Dipropionate Cream - this is VERY soothing for cracked vaginal skin and antifungal too. I never leave home w/o it!!

Anonymous

Help

Anonymous

Hi! I'm one of the older women the doctors are telling you about. In Aug.2012, my nurse practitioner prescribed clobetasol for an itching and burning breaking out on my right shoulder blade. It works really well. Today I have the same breaking out on my upper left leg at my panty line. I used it and already feel relief. I break out like this in different parts of my bod when I am under a lot of stress. A word of caution, however, it is a steroid and steroids weaken the immune system. I have to be especially careful because I have fluconasol nasal spray (steroid), and anusol hc suppositories (steroid). I have even been prescribed steroid eyedrops in the past which are very expensive, but that was only once a few years ago. I only use these when absolutely needed, which is not very often...maybe a couple times a year. For dryness in my eyes I now break open a fish oil capsule and apply a couple drops with my fingers...make sure hands are sanitized. I am a firm believer in vitamin and mineral supplements and probiotics during these stressful periods. Good luck to everyone. I am 67 years old. I have enjoyed reading all your comments.

Anonymous

Clobetasol is a high-potency steroid which is usually meant for external use only. It is used for many skin conditions which may affect the vulva and cause pain and itching. As most of the nerve endings are just outside the vaginal opening it would not be of much use internally in any case! Unless instructed specifically by your doctor, you should only outside the vaginal opening.

MoJ

I have just started on clobesterol today, as I too have just been diagnosed with Lechin Schlerosus...which absolutely horrified me when I first looked it up, but you all are making me feel soooo much better! There is no cure, but there is hope to keep it at bay and to have a regular life even with it! Thank you all so much for sharing your personal stories! I also have been diagnosed with HPV..and have to have a procedure in a few weeks to scrape whatever is on my cervix...Leep, I believe is the term for it. I'm not as nervous about that, I have Cin2, which is not cancerous yet, so I feel very fortunate! I am 51 and menopause is beckoning, so I do believe some of this is due to my hormones changing and screwing up the chemistry in my body...that and perhaps a few sexual escapades that I refuse to regret...lol...I'll be back to up date my results!

Anonymous (reply to MoJ)

I would love to ask you about your Lichens Schl, as I have it too. (47yo) I'm told it's mild, but it's plenty awful when it strikes! I wrote a reply that took an hour almost, telling you about what I use for it that works great! It was a "journey" finding out about it though! When I tried to "send"on my iPhone, it just disappeared!!! Poof! So infuriating! (I'm at the lake for the weekend w/out computer) so, I will check back at this sight & if you get this I'll give you my emai. Would love to compare notes. Also, I got a "bonus virus" as well! Ha! No regrets!!

I have been on Clebetasol for about a year and it works well for me but it is expensive and I'm always looking for alternatives. I would love to hear your story.

justmetoo

LS is most common in menopausal women but also occurs in Men and Children (usually around puperty, something to do with hormones and also genetics). It is very important to get proper treatment from a Gyn or dermatologist or internist who actually knows something about Lichen Sclerosus. A biopsy is not always necessary; if the Dr. knows, they can tell by looking at the area.

justmetoo

Unfortunately most of the information here is alarmingly Wrong! You can use clobetasol propionate ("Clob") on outer Vulva areas, and in fact you might have Lichen Sclerosus (LS) and NEED to use the steroid ASAP. It's best to get the Ointment and not the Cream as the cream causes further irritation. It is not good to just stop the clob, you need to taper down or better yet keep a very low dose maintenance (a tiny drop 3x a week well massaged in).

When going out in the sun, what SPF do you put on?: