ask: Can you use Clobetasol Propionate cream on your vagina?

Anonymous

I have Lichen Sclerosus. I was diagnosed a couple of years ago but believe I had it for a long time, although just a mild case until two years ago when it got really bad. I had gone to several doctors before getting the diagnosis and put on medications. It took a long time, about 4 months, to finally get some relief. I was able to find a terrific LS support group - it has tons of helpful women and tons of great information. It is on facebook "Lichen Sclerosis / Sclerosus - LS". There are two groups very similarly titled but this is the one I really found helpful....(with the forward slash in the name). https://www.facebook.com/groups/48537746157/

Anonymous

I have some rare skin problem on the outer are of the vagina my doctors were all pretty stumped. They were ready to send me to of of m collage to see if I could get the terrible pain to go away,I'm 46 and my body is changing

Anonymous

Hi ...45 yrs..i have LS as well...and is using Taro-clobetasol oint0.05, however am unsure about using it as often as Dr. prescribed...as it does thin the skin...i have read all the comments here...some say thicken some say thin...i believe it thins as it is a steroid...therefore i am afraid to make matter worse :( i have used it several times...but def. don't use it twice a day for two weeks...it's been almost a year...sometimes it helps sometimes it makes it worse...it's always a battle to make the decision to use it or not! As i have read here and have been told many times no one knows the cause...but i am wondering if it has to do with hormonal changes...they say there is no cure but i believe if we find the cause we can cure! :) it is extremely difficult to live with this disease or disorder...as you all know...i have lost my relationship over this! i need to find a cure...i am wondering if any of the people on here with LS have had any trouble with vaginal glands? as just before my symptoms began i had a blocked gland that required surgery also, have anyone here with LS have an IUD for birth control...as i just had one inserted a few months before my symptoms began as well...would love to know your feedback...

I've never had trouble with glands and I've never had an IUD. Just noticed my labia turning white a few months ago. Dr. gave me clobetasol only because I insisted. I really don't have any other symptoms besides the white labia. I'm hoping it stays that way.

I didn't have any of those troubles that you did--they do guess that the source might be hormonal. I think that you should definitely talk to your doctor about your steroid fears. The way mine was prescribed, I did have to use it several times per day for the first month and then decrease the amount in the 2nd and 3rd month. That is typically the way steroids are prescribed--including oral ones--in a gradually decreasing amount. It did occur to me to that my skin might thin, as I know that is a side-effect, but it did not. In fact it got thicker and healthier, as that thin fragile skin is also a symptom of LS. Once I had gone through that initial treatment, the LS remained under control. I have occasional flare-ups and then use the steroid for a while until it calms down. As I have had a hysterectomy, I also use vaginal hormonal cream which also helps with the health of that skin. Do talk to your doctor about your concerns--I am worried that if you use less than prescribed you might not arrest the LS and it will just keep percolating on in a low-grade sort of way.

Anonymous

If it is the Taro brand, the ointment is more like a clear gel. I don't think there is any difference in the effectiveness. When I recently refilled a prescription the doctor asked me which consistency I preferred.

Anonymous

I have Lichen Sclerosus,I am using Clobetasol Cream,,would it be better the Oitment ? I am76 y.o.

same question as above.........I'm 79. and my Dr. said use 2 times per week, package reads 3 x daily........any medical people out there with an answer?

Ointment is preferred over cream for vaginal luchen sclerosus
. Creams contain more possible irritants .

Anonymous

I am 27 years old and was diagnosed with LS of the vagina in 2011. After 3 months of going back and forth to different doctors, I finally saw a dermatologist and she was able to diagnose me properly. I have been using Taro Clobetasol 0.05 cream and ointment. This medication is a God send. After initially being diagnosed and using the cream twice daily, about a month after it was under control, and soon after was gone. Now I only use it when I have a flare up, which doesn't happen often...every few months or so. The cream is applied on the outside of the vagina where the skin is not in. I hope this helps :)

When going out in the sun, what SPF do you put on?: