Community

Can't Find Something?

ASK Moderation Guidelines

ask: Chance of pregnancy when Missing two birth control pills in a row during week 1?

I started my new pack on sat. That night I had sex (unprotected). I forgot my pill on sun and mon. I took both of them plus my regular one on tue and had sex that night. How likely is it that I could be pregnant?

Christine Jeffries

Thanks for your question, and for finding EmpowHER.
When you are on the pill, it's not considered "unprotected" as you are using birth control. If you remember to take it every day at about the same time, you can expect roughly 99% effectiveness at preventing unwanted pregnancy. It's less effective if you forget. Here is an article explaining how it works:
http://www.empowher.com/pregnancy/content/missing-birth-control-pills-an...
Here also is an article I wrote about missing birth control:
http://www.empowher.com/sexual-well-being/content/oops-missed-birth-cont...
Good luck and let us know how you are doing.

Anonymous (reply to Christine Jeffries)

Ok I don't think you understood my question. On Saturday I started my new pack of pills and had sex with out a condom that's what I meant by unprotected. On Sunday and Monday I forgot my pill so I took them on Tuesday along with Tuesdays pill and has sex that night without a condom. Is the birthcontrol still effective or could I be preg.

Christine Jeffries (reply to Anonymous)

You are correct in assuming that when you forget to take your pill, you are increasing your risk to become pregnant. As long as you continue to take your pills without disruption, you should be ok. However, it always is a good idea to use a backup method for a few days or a week when you forget and start again. Those articles I provided links for explain it in more detail. Hope that helps!

What do you think is the most important health test for women?: