Chances of conceiving

I was diagnosed with Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome and was told I wouldn't be able to have a child without the help of fertility drugs. Well, recently...15 days ago to be exact I made a poor decision and had uprotected sex. Every few days I have been spotting and there is some discharge. I haven't had a period since Sept 2010. Is this just a coincidence or is it possible I could have gotten pregnant, and is it too soon to tell?!

This is a bit unusual, isn't it? While many women with PCOS do have difficulty conceiving, this isn't always the case.

What kind of "discharge" do you have? You may have contracted an infection so keep an eye out for that.

Since it has been 15 days since you had unprotected sex, then a pregnancy test should be accurate by now - taking a test will confirm/deny a pregnancy. Please keep us posted!

I guess to elaborate more, I was diagnosed at 18 and I was told if you were diagnosed too young it could've been a false diagnosis. Plus, this girl I work with hadn't had a period since she was 14 and now she is 23 with a 3 year old daughter. I know everyone is different, but I have had unprotected sex before and I've never spotted after, especially after over a year without a period.

Hi again!

I agree that you could be pregnant or getting your period. Unprotected sex would hardly trigger a period after more than a year so it may be a coincidence (albeit a strange one!).

Again, taking a pregnancy test is the only way to find out now if you are pregnant. If it's negative, wait longer to see if you period is coming and if it never does, I think it's a good idea to schedule a visit with your doctor since a lot of time has passed (correct?) since your diagnosis and it may be time for another evaluation.

It's kind of like a discharge that you would get before a period. I am just nervous. Thanks for you help!