Pregnancy Guide

ask: Do the nipples change after pregnancy or breastfeeding?

I was watching THE READER last night and noted that Kate Winslet's nipples are very large and dark and her breasts are quite saggy for her age. Her nipples did not seem to look that way before children.
I was wondering if it is the pregnancy or the breastfeeding that changes the breasts and more particularly the nipples?
If I get pregnant, will my breasts automatically sag? Or is it the actual breastfeeding that causes them to droop? Maybe it is just the weight gain? And do the nipples always darken and enlarge. I am not too impressed with the physical deterioration of the breast during childrearing! Is it unavoidable?
I am older than Kate and my breasts are not saggy and my nipples paler.

This is an interesting question. Truth is, yeah-- it happens. Like Susan said, these changes aren't set in stone for all women but many women will notice that after having children their breasts are not as perky, areola's are a little darker (and maybe even a little larger). It's a small price to pay for helping create the miracle of life. Sometimes this concept is hard for women to accept when they have yet to have children, however it all comes into perspective afterwards.

AprilReign

For what it's worth to add to the various scenarios, I have naturally large breasts, and I worry about the southbound direction. As for my nipples however, they are quite small, very small and fairly pale. Interestingly, as much as I wanted to breast feed my son (the tightening up of the uterus & calorie requiring nature is enough reason even if you don't feel inclined to provide natural milk for your child) that alone, was worth it, but, due to their small size, i guess, I could not even express enough to sustain him after about 6 weeks. And I was returning to work. I also had trouble feeding him, I suspect it was how small the nipples were and how little their output was that made it so hard for him. My breasts were huge and rock hard and hurting. IN the end, we settled for those initial 6 weeks that I hope gave him some of the antibodies at least initially. And he switched to formula with no problem, in fact he improved in weight gain. Despite the size of my breasts the small nipples, that scarcely turned just slightly darker, but the size of the breasts alone don't determine ability to breast feed.

Anonymous

I'm 24, 160lbs, 5'9, so I think I'm pretty average and I gotta say when I saw Kate Winslet's breasts in 'The Reader' I was impressed to finally see a REAL woman's body on screen. There's nothing that turns me off more than women with fake breasts.

Women only think they need to get fake breasts because of their own insecurities. Be confident and be healthy and your beauty will shine.

Yes, I've heard of the Brazilian lift, I think it is popular because it is permanent via being secured to the chest wall muscles, unlike the other 'lifts' that sink (for want of a better term) over time. A lot of women also get implants with a lift and the Brazilian is specifically for women who don't want an implant. It's a very common thought that women lose their previous size after nursing. That may be true but it never happened with me. I'm the same size and shape before, as after (but dang, the tummy is now flat again but I don't have that tautness anymore, no matter what exercises I do! Oh well, I realize I carried three fabulous (and large) human passengers to full term and that's the way it goes!)

If you do have babies and you see changes, you are talking several years down the line; you will need to make sure you are done with having kids and done nursing. And with all surgery, there is cost and risk involved. Personally, I'd invest in some great sexy bras and spend the money traveling LOL!

Anonymous

Kate is indeed a beauty and a great actress, though the movie left a little to be desired! I believe that she is only 34 actually.
Because she is often nude in movies, one gets a chance to see the changes. You are right however, that women should support each other and we are too used to seeing tanned, fake and digitally enhanced bodies. Kate has a lovely and natural body.
Her breasts just made me wonder about dark nipples and why they occur. Thanks for your poignant and interesting answer.
I am probably not open to enlargement surgery if and when the girls go south, but would be interested to hear a little more about a lift. How is this done? Have you heard of the brazilian lift?
Thanks!

Poor Kate!! The performance of lifetime and an Oscar for it and all she she gets called out on are her "saggy" breasts! We women need to support each other!

Thanks for your question, it's a great one. Some women believe that if they have very small breasts, they won't sag; not true. Others believe their breasts (if large) will be down to their knees after childbirth or breastfeeding. Not necessarily true either. I've seen older women who have never had children with very saggy breasts and women who have breastfed several kids who still have the perk!

Some of it depends on weight and physical fitness but you can't really do exercises for breasts, since they are made up of fat and milk tissue, not muscle. Some of it is genetics or the luck of the draw. And all of us need a really good support bra and it won't matter much! The natural breast shape changes over time, just like any other body part. And it changes whether we have babies or not. I think one problem is that we see naked women in movies who have fake implants and fake tans and forget that it's all...fake!

I assume by your question you have not given birth? If you are really "not too impressed with the physical deterioration of the breast during childrearing" (I think you mean childbearing?) then you can always consider a breast lift or small implants (that also lift the breast) if you are not happy with how you look after having a baby. More than likely your body will never be quite the same after having a baby, especially if you are older (I think Kate Winslet is in her mid-late 30s?) but of course, it's all in the eye of the beholder.

By the way, it's thought that the nipples darken in order to allow a baby to see them more clearly because newborns don't have the best eyesight. Mother Nature is seriously smart, eh?

Pregnant? Where do you get your information and support about pregnancy and delivery? :