ask: Does 3 days of withdrawal bleeding/menstruation mean she's not pregnant?

By Brandon

We had sex 2 - 3 weeks after her last menstruation and she had them irregularly. She took Nordette as ECP 18 hours after. 6 days after the dose, she bled heavily lasting for 3 days. She also had abdominal pains then and she said it was just like her period. I'm not sure exactly if it is her period or just the withdrawal bleeding.

Was that a sign that she's not pregnant?

Anonymous

Hello,
I would like to ask for your opinion regarding my case. Im a 25 yr old virgin and had my first time,unprotected sex last Feb1, i immidiately took Nordette pills after 3-4 hours. I followed the procedure except i took all the left pills. After 13 days i had medium to heavy bleeding that lasted for 4 days. I took a PT after my last bleeding day and it showed a negative result. Supposedly, if 30 days cycle would be followed I would had to have my menstruation already, ive been 4 days late. Is it still possible that I might be pregnant? I do not have signs of early pregnancy but I do have sticky white vaginal discharge now,im considering that this is because I am about to have my menstruation. After the sex, i engaged in heavy exercise,drinked coffee and tea heavily, drank energy drinks,ate pineapples,took 2grams of vitamin C, doing some of that until now. Is there a chance that I will be pregnant despite all of that?Please answer, thanks.

Maryann Gromisch RN Guide (reply to Anonymous)

You can relax. You are not pregnant. The vaginal bleeding, which was a medium to heavy flow and lasted four days, confirms Nordette was effective in preventing pregnancy.

Emergency contraceptive can cause changes in the menstrual cycle. This can seen as your next period starting later than expected. Relax, your period should start in a day or two.

Regards,

Anonymous

Thank you for your question. If you had a period, this is a good sign of not being pregnant. Since it is now April 8th, you could always try a pregnancy test if you miss your period in about 8-10 days. If you have another period, you should be fine. Hope this helps.

Missie

Anonymous

hi maam just want to ask if im safe to not to get pregnant we make love last march 16my recent first day of mens was march 9.. i took ECP and after 6 days i experienced bleeding for 2 days.. not too heavy nor light normal lang sya ..

could io be pregnant?

Brandon,

Emergency contraceptives can cause a change in her period. However, if she bled for 3 days within days of taking the EC, then she still needs to wait for her next period before deciding that she is not pregnant. If your girlfriend has irregular periods, she can test for pregnancy two weeks after the last time you had sex.

Best of luck,

Rosa

Brandon (reply to Rosa Cabrera RN)

Hi Ma'am, we had protected sex again last week(3 weeks after last time taking ECP), and there weren't any signs of leaks or damage to the condom. 2 hours later after sex, she took Nordette again as ECP again. It has been 6 days now and she still didn't bleed, she only had a slight abdominal cramp yesterday and that's it. I'm starting to feel uneasy about it again.

Rosa Cabrera RN (reply to Brandon)

Brandon,

There is nothing to feel uneasy about when you have had PROTECTED sex and an emergency contraceptive after. Bleeding is a side effect but not something that happens every time. You have to remember that another side effect of the EC is a change in her period-- so just be patient and wait.

Rosa

Brandon (reply to Rosa Cabrera RN)

Thanks again ma'am Rosa. I think it's time for us to control ourselves from doing it until we are both emotionally and economically prepared for the worst case scenario. :))

You have offered great help ma'am. Thank you!
Cheers!

Brandon (reply to Rosa Cabrera RN)

It has been 3 weeks since we had sex already and we recently tested. It came out negative. Is this a legit statement that she is not pregnant?

Rosa Cabrera RN (reply to Brandon)

That's correct Brandon. If she tested after 3 weeks of having sex and the result is negative, then she is not pregnant. 

Have you joined the IUD trend? What kind of birth control do you use? :