Does 3 days of withdrawal bleeding/menstruation mean she's not pregnant?

By Brandon December 23, 2011 - 9:25pm

We had sex 2 - 3 weeks after her last menstruation and she had them irregularly. She took Nordette as ECP 18 hours after. 6 days after the dose, she bled heavily lasting for 3 days. She also had abdominal pains then and she said it was just like her period. I'm not sure exactly if it is her period or just the withdrawal bleeding.

Was that a sign that she's not pregnant?

Anonymous

Hi is there any side effects in using Nordette while on Nur-Isterate injection.

Maryann Gromisch RN Guide (reply to Anonymous)

Nur-Isterate is a progesterone only contraceptive.
Nordette is a contraceptive that contains a synthetic progestin and ethinyl estradiol.

Anonymous, have you been taking both contraceptives at the same time? If so, why?

Since both suppress or prevent ovulation, and cause changes in the cervical mucus, I would think taking both contraceptives at the same time would cause a serious hormonal imbalance.
Please check with your gynecologist.

Regards,

Anonymous

Hello,

I am on the pill and I take everyday at the same time operating on a 28 day cycle.

I had sex on day 1 of my withdrawal bleed and had my full 7 day bleed ending April 21st

I am having some pinkish discharge... Could this be implantation or maybe due to my birth control?

My estimated ovulation would be the 29th but I'm just a little concerned.

Thank you for coming to us with your concern.

Birth control pills prevent pregnancy mainly by stopping ovulation. If no egg is released, there is nothing to be fertilized by sperm, and the woman cannot get pregnant.

Most birth control pills contain synthetic forms of two female hormones: estrogen and progestin. These synthetic hormones stabilize a woman's natural hormone levels, and prevent estrogen from peaking mid-cycle.

Without the estrogen bump, the pituitary gland does not release other hormones that normally cause the ovaries to release mature eggs.

The pink discharge is probably leftover uterine lining and not implantation bleeding.

Regards,

waterBaloon19

Hi. me and my girlfriend had unprotexted sex april 13 there wasn't any ejaculation, but i'm afraid of the precum. so that day i bought and let her drink nordette 4 pills for the first dose at 6:30pm and and second dose on april 14 6:30am. she has been experiencing some headaches, she had her first period for the month at april 1 and lasted about five days. she is an irregular. will she be pregnant?

Susan Cody HERWriter Guide (reply to waterBaloon19)

Hi waterBaloon19

Emergency contraception is up to 95% effective so you can gauge the risk from there.

In future use a condom so your girlfriend doesn't have to take this medication or worry about pregnancy.

waterBaloon19 (reply to Susan Cody)

thank you so much susan. :) one last question when she has her withdrawal bleeding will this mean she isn't anymore pregnant?

Hi again!

Bleeding after indicates she is not pregnant - correct.

Hi. its me again its been 11 days since my gilfriend took the second dose of nordete, and she has not yet had her bleeding. what does this mean? did nordette work? and when is it time to use a pregnancy test to find out if nordeyte really worked?

Susan Cody HERWriter Guide (reply to Anonymous)

It's probably a good idea to take a pregnancy test. It should be accurate within 14 days of taking the Nordette.