Does 3 days of withdrawal bleeding/menstruation mean she's not pregnant?

By Brandon December 23, 2011 - 9:25pm

We had sex 2 - 3 weeks after her last menstruation and she had them irregularly. She took Nordette as ECP 18 hours after. 6 days after the dose, she bled heavily lasting for 3 days. She also had abdominal pains then and she said it was just like her period. I'm not sure exactly if it is her period or just the withdrawal bleeding.

Was that a sign that she's not pregnant?

Anonymous

I am 22 and I had my last period on 21st may 2016. I had sex on 16th june 2016 and he used a condom. Also i took an ipill within 4 hrs of the intercourse. From that day itself i was having increased vaginal discharge. Yesterday on 20th june i had a strong feeling of nausea and at night i had two drops of blood from vagina. On 21st june morning there has been again few drops of blood every 1-2 hrs and strong nausea all day particularly in the morning. Today on 22nd june, im again having morning nausea and few drops of blood. Is it pregnancy or is it side effect of ipill..? When should i take the pregnancy test ?
If its due to ipill then how long shall the nausea and bleeding continue ? Because it is 3rd day of strong nausea now. Also the bleeding has now increased but still not like my normal period. And there is nw a slight abdominal pain.

Susan Cody HERWriter Guide (reply to Anonymous)

This is a side effect of the ipill. There is no need to take one "just in case" when a condom is used correctly. It will only serve to mess up your cycle and give you pretty bad side effects like what you have - bleeding, nausea - other side effects are headaches. This should not last more than a few days. Pregnancy is extremely unlikely - almost impossible so I don't think you have any worries there but a test is generally accurate 2-3 weeks after sex.

Your bleeding may be random for the next week and your next period may be irregular - coming early or late. This is another side effect of emergency contraceptives. It's wise not to take them unless it's a real emergency.

Anonymous

Hi!
May I ask this because i took my second dose of nordette last may 7,2016 and had my withdrawal bleeding last May 14,2016. As of now i felt nauseous an now is June 6,2016. Is it still the side effect of nordette? Or morning sickness? Any chance of being pregnant? Thanks!

Maryann Gromisch RN Guide (reply to Anonymous)

The withdrawal bleeding of May 14 proved that Nordette prevented pregnancy.

It is a bit late to still be having any side effects of the pill. Since you are not pregnant, the nausea is not a symptom of morning sickness.

See how you feel. If you continue to feel nauseous and vomit, contact your primary care physician. You may have eaten something that didn't agree with you or you contracted a stomach virus.

Regards,

Anonymous

Hi is there any side effects in using Nordette while on Nur-Isterate injection.

Nur-Isterate is a progesterone only contraceptive.
Nordette is a contraceptive that contains a synthetic progestin and ethinyl estradiol.

Anonymous, have you been taking both contraceptives at the same time? If so, why?

Since both suppress or prevent ovulation, and cause changes in the cervical mucus, I would think taking both contraceptives at the same time would cause a serious hormonal imbalance.
Please check with your gynecologist.

Regards,

Anonymous

Hello,

I am on the pill and I take everyday at the same time operating on a 28 day cycle.

I had sex on day 1 of my withdrawal bleed and had my full 7 day bleed ending April 21st

I am having some pinkish discharge... Could this be implantation or maybe due to my birth control?

My estimated ovulation would be the 29th but I'm just a little concerned.

Thank you for coming to us with your concern.

Birth control pills prevent pregnancy mainly by stopping ovulation. If no egg is released, there is nothing to be fertilized by sperm, and the woman cannot get pregnant.

Most birth control pills contain synthetic forms of two female hormones: estrogen and progestin. These synthetic hormones stabilize a woman's natural hormone levels, and prevent estrogen from peaking mid-cycle.

Without the estrogen bump, the pituitary gland does not release other hormones that normally cause the ovaries to release mature eggs.

The pink discharge is probably leftover uterine lining and not implantation bleeding.

Regards,

waterBaloon19

Hi. me and my girlfriend had unprotexted sex april 13 there wasn't any ejaculation, but i'm afraid of the precum. so that day i bought and let her drink nordette 4 pills for the first dose at 6:30pm and and second dose on april 14 6:30am. she has been experiencing some headaches, she had her first period for the month at april 1 and lasted about five days. she is an irregular. will she be pregnant?

Susan Cody HERWriter Guide (reply to waterBaloon19)

Hi waterBaloon19

Emergency contraception is up to 95% effective so you can gauge the risk from there.

In future use a condom so your girlfriend doesn't have to take this medication or worry about pregnancy.