ask: Does 3 days of withdrawal bleeding/menstruation mean she's not pregnant?

By Brandon December 23, 2011 - 9:25pm

We had sex 2 - 3 weeks after her last menstruation and she had them irregularly. She took Nordette as ECP 18 hours after. 6 days after the dose, she bled heavily lasting for 3 days. She also had abdominal pains then and she said it was just like her period. I'm not sure exactly if it is her period or just the withdrawal bleeding.

Was that a sign that she's not pregnant?

Hi! My LMP was on oct 25-29. I had unprotected sex on nov 4 but we practiced the withdrawal method. Immediately after having sex, i took 4 nordette pills and then 4 pills again the next day but i was 2 hrs late (14 hrs past the 1st dose). On nov 7 and 8, he inserted his penis unto mine but i grab it out once he inserted it. On nov 13, i had bleeding lasting for 3 days. On the first day, i noticed a thick brown secretion, then it became heavier. Could this be the withdrawal bleeding? Is there a chance that i could be pregnant?

Maryann Gromisch RN Guide (reply to Anonymous)

It is very likely the bleeding which started on November 13 was caused by taking 8 Nordette pills. Brown discharge indicates old blood, probably uterine lining left from your last period.

The withdrawal method is not a reliable form of birth control.

Taking the pills might effect the start of your next period. If you do not have a normal period later this month or in early December, take a pregnancy test. That is the only way to know for sure.

Anonymous (reply to Maryann Gromisch RN)

Wishful thinking that i am not pregnant, I am actually 3 days delayed from my regular expected period.
So After 3 weeks of taking nordette (2 wks ago from when i had my withdrawal bleeding), i experienced nausea, cramps, back pain and white vaginal discharge. Could these symptoms be attributed to the side effects of nordette?
Thank you for your answers!

Hi! My gf has blood in her urine yesterday. She took nordette 5 days ago. Could it be the withdrawal bleeding? Today the bleeding stops.

To my knowledge, Nordette is a oral contraceptive that is taken daily to prevent pregnancy by preventing ovulation.

Did your girlfriend only take one dose? Why? How many pills did she take? Was she trying to use it as an emergency contraceptive?

If she notice blood in her urine, but did not have vaginal bleeding throughout the day, this was not withdrawal bleeding.

I would be concerned that this was hematuria, which is blood in the urine and could indicate a urinary tract infection or kidney infection.

This is what really happened.. We had our 1st time sex and in the middle of it, I noticed fluids inside and out of my condom. I cant distinguish if its mine or her because of same color. Though my thing is still erected. After it, I masturbate and ejaculated. I was so worried if it is my sperm or just her juice. So what she did is she took nordette ecp. Now its her 8th day after taking 4dose after 12hrs twice. But still has no bleeding yet. What do you think about that situation, is it just my fluids or her's?

And now, she has urinary infection. Would be the contraceptive pill the reason of having that?

Thank you!

Yeah, it is uti. Does she get it from taking the ecp?
She took 4dose twice after 12hrs. Yup, it is ecp.
It is her 8th day today taking nordette and no bleeding yet. Is it needed to have withdrawal bleeding to be sure that she's not pregnant? Thanks!

No, taking an emergency contraceptive does not cause a UTI.

Urinary tract infections typically occur when bacteria enter the urinary tract through the urethra and begin to multiply in the bladder.

Infection of the bladder (cystitis). This type of UTI is usually caused by Escherichia coli (E. coli), a type of bacteria commonly found in the gastrointestinal (GI) tract. However, sometimes other bacteria are responsible. Sexual intercourse may lead to cystitis, but you don't have to be sexually active to develop it. All women are at risk of cystitis because of their anatomy — specifically, the short distance from the urethra to the anus and the urethral opening to the bladder.
Infection of the urethra (urethritis). This type of UTI can occur when GI bacteria spread from the anus to the urethra. Also, because the female urethra is close to the vagina, sexually transmitted infections, such as herpes, gonorrhea, chlamydia and mycoplasma, can cause urethritis.

If her next period is late by more than one week, she should take a home pregnancy test.

She is having irregular menstruation. We had it 14 days ago, can we detect it now?

Wait one more week. If she still has not had any vaginal bleeding, then she should take a home pregnancy test.

Have you joined the IUD trend? What kind of birth control do you use? :