Q: 

Does 3 days of withdrawal bleeding/menstruation mean she's not pregnant?

By December 23, 2011 - 9:25pm

We had sex 2 - 3 weeks after her last menstruation and she had them irregularly. She took Nordette as ECP 18 hours after. 6 days after the dose, she bled heavily lasting for 3 days. She also had abdominal pains then and she said it was just like her period. I'm not sure exactly if it is her period or just the withdrawal bleeding.

Was that a sign that she's not pregnant?

Anonymous

Hello my gf recently took her ecp and got withdrawal bleeding for 3 days(july29-31). Last night (Aug7)we had unprotected sex, there's penetration but i didnt ejaculate but i theres pre ejac fluids and i did ejaculate prior to that. She is expected to have her period at aug14 but not sure if the pills will mess up her cycle. Is her ovulation cancelled thought out the cycle? Is there a chance of pregnancy?

Anonymous

Hello. We had unprotected sex last july 23 which is the 7th of her period(she started her period on july 17).just to be sure she took ecp (4pills now then 4 again 12 hours later). Now it's july 29 and she noticed some spotting. She described it as brownish color, but not really heavy, but will find out in the next few days. She also didnt felt any slight cramping. Is it implantation bleeding or withdrawal bleeding? Will she get pregnant? Thank you

Emergency contraceptives are up to 95% effective when taken as prescribed within the first 24 hours and up to 90% effective if taken within 72 hours, so the risk is very small. It works by preventing ovulation and stopping a pregnancy from starting. It is not an abortion pill. It prevents a pregnancy, it does not end one. Side effects can include stomach aches, headaches, breast pain, nausea and a general feeling of being unwell.
The more frequently they are taken, the more likely a woman is to have side effects and an irregular cycle. They should be taken only for emergencies, not used as a method of birth control.
Symptoms usually start 2-7 days after taking the medication and may or may not include bleeding or spotting. Not all women get symptoms. Some get many, or a few, or none. If a woman doesn’t get her next period within a week of it’s expected date, a pregnancy test may be necessary although the risk is very low. Periods can often be delayed or longer/shorter as a result of taking emergency contraception. We cannot predict this for our readers in terms of length of delays. Each women is different. Periods should get back to normal by the second cycle after.

Anonymous

Hello me and my gf had unprotected sex on july 23 and took ecp(4pills now, 4pills after 12 hours) she started her period on july 17 so thats the 7th day of her period. She had some symptoms like nausea but didnt vomit. Today july 29 she had a slight spotting. She described it as brownish spotting not sure if its heavy but i will find out in the next few days. She also havent experienced any kind of light cramps. Is she pregnant or not? Thank you

Anonymous

Hello. We had sex when she was still on her last day of her period and im worried that she might get pregnant because of precum so I let her take ecp. Will she be fine?

Anonymous

after being on the ECP , can i start taking birth control pills on the 1st day of the withdrawal bleeding or shall i wait for my normal menstruation to came in. thanks.

Anonymous

Hi I have pcod. I took 3 days dose tablets for the periods. My periods did come but lasted for 1 and half day only that is low flow. In the next month I took 21 days dosage for periods prescribed by doctor. When I asked her that why did she gave me earlier 3 days dosage? She replied that it was because my period didn't come for 2-3 months so as a withdrawal period she gave me 3 days dosage medicine. So is it true and how ?

Guide (reply to Anonymous)

These are two questions for your gynecologist to answer.

Anonymous

Hi! I was the Anon who wrote last June 15. Unprotected sex: May 18, Took ecp and had withdrawal bleeding with a heavy flow from May 24-31.

So we did 1 home pregnancy test almost a month after doing the deed (June 15) and thankfully, it came out negative. I couldn't wait for a week after my missed period because I'm irregular and I haven't had a period for almost two months in the first place.

Is a home pregnancy test taken almost four weeks after doing the deed accurate? Can we finally say that I am indeed not pregnant?

Thank you!

Guide (reply to Anonymous)

The heavy bleeding after taking the pill was proof it worked and you did not become pregnant

Regards,