Dosage fro Sublingual Estrogen for Hormone Headaches

By October 1, 2012 - 12:46pm

I am a peri-menopausal woman who regularly suffers from intense headaches in the 2-3 days just before and just after the start of my period - when estrogen levels are lowest. I have read that Dr. Philip Sarrel (who is one of the site's advisors) recommends trying sublingual estrogen during headaches and that many women experience relief from this.
I am wondering about the dosing instructions - I would like to take this information to my doctor and have her prescribe something for me to try.

Hi kristann

Yes, Dr. Sarrell is one of our most respected experts here on EmpowHER but he cannot give you a dosage level for this medication as this is something you and your doctor must decide. He notes this himself in this video - that doctors need to tailor dosages for each individual woman's needs: http://www.empowher.com/menopause/content/steady-estradiol-level-how-can-woman-maintain-dr-sarrel-video

I hope this helps you and that you bring this to your doctor's attention.

Perimenopause Guide