General discussion

By EmpowHER February 9, 2008 - 8:06am

Lung cancer is the second most diagnosed cancer for women. What has been your experience with this condition?

The Mayo Clinic has some great information about another "smoking cessation pill" at: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/stop-smoking/HA00020

Chantix has been in the news quite a bit, I believe for the potential it has to cause seizures? I think it's been receiving quite a bit of bad press for this, and my understanding was that people who were having seizures had a history of seizures (and other illnesses). This drug is FDA approved, and had a good success rate.

What have you heard about this?

This is the same (or very similiar) to Zyban. Same makers, too. I took this to help quit. My doctor gave me a 3 month supply of Zyban and I used it for a month and threw away the rest and had quit smoking after years and years! I don't know if it worked or not, because the cravings were still really bad but either way, I quit!

Wellbutrin is an anti-depressive that they found had good results in helping people quit smoking so they modified it into Zyban for smoking cessation.

Alysia, my husband was a smoker for 12 years and had also tried to quit numerous times. On the advice of his brother, who's a doctor, he picked a prescription for a drug called Zyban and it worked. He hasn't smoked for nearly eight years. Here's more info ...

Although he'll smoke a cigar from time to time, he can't stand to be around cigarettes or cigarette smoke -- a complete 180 from smoking two packs a day ...

I know how hard it is -there are days I still think "thank God I quit" because I don't know what condition my body would be in by now. Smoking has been thought of as harder to quit than drugs like heroin.

I know I'll never smoke again, if only because there is no way I'd go through that detox again, it was awful. (don't let your husband read that! But it's the reality of breaking the addiction)

And for many people, the cravings last for months. Working with smokers doesn't help either. I used to see my ex-fellow smokers outside and they'd all joke (kind of) "Oh please, you'll be back out here with us within a week!" and I thought it was a shame they weren't more encouraging. But it has been 7 years so that's a long 'week'!

I hope your husband quits, it is such a hard addiction, I know how he'll feel those first few weeks, and even the months after are really hard. But the benefits are beyond wonderful. Good luck to him!

Alysia -

Has your husband tried to quit?

My husband's brother is a pharmacist who quit smoking and has tried to be a positive influence by recommending various remedies. My hubby has tried hypnosis, the patch, motivational tapes and I don't know what else. Being surrounded by people who smoke at work doesn't help, either.

It takes a lot of will power to break the nicotine addition, and the smoker must want to quit. I just try to be encouraging; that's all I can do.

Environmental tobacco smoke (ETS), otherwise known as secondhand smoke, carries toxins and is deemed by the Center for Disease Control (CDC) dangerous for the person who breathes it in. Children affected are at higher risk than adults because their bodies are still developing physically and they breathe at a higher rate.

I am married to a chain smoker, but I don't smoke. I worry about my husband. He lost his mother to lung cancer, but seems to believe that he's impervious. I'm sure I sound like a nagging wife reminding him that his smoking affects me, and I already have a compromised immune system.

The CDC makes several fact sheets available on their site, such as the effects and trends of ETS, case studies in Georgia and Texas (Texas has widely adopted city smoking bans), secondhand smoke and Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS) and smoke-free policies.

Lung Cancer

Lung Cancer Guide