GERD or ulcer?

By Anonymous April 4, 2009 - 2:29pm

For the last week I have had a nagging burning just below the sternum, last night when I laid down I had a back up of acid into my throat that really burned, today I still have naging dull pain in sternum. I am taking OTC RX and sometimes it works and now it is not working.
I am laid off and 61 years of age with no health ins, what home remidies can I use? I know to stay away from certain food items. Thank you

You're right about staying away from certain foods and I assume you know which foods (usually the ones with a lot of acid!) to stay away from so let's talk about some home remedies.

The old standby of drinking milk doesn't hold as much water (excuse the odd comparison there!) as often times the relief is fleeting and the ingredients in milk sometimes make more acid for the body to contend with.

You may want to drink your way to getting some relief -

Drinking camomile's tea will help as will drinking papaya juice.

Potato juice also helps (although it doesn't sound too appealing!) and herbs like ginger and sage will also do a world of good.

Some other tips are to eat slowly and don't eat shortly before bed. Also, see if you can sleep in an elevated manner that won't hurt your neck or back. This can help with keeping acid down.

I remember the misery of heartburn when I was pregnant and I truly sympathize with you.

Check out our Heartburn and Gerd Center here : http://www.empowher.com/media/reference/heartburn-and-gerd-center-0

Where are you living? Do you have access to a clinic that can help you free of charge or at a reduced rate? You may need to see a health care professional if you are not exactly sure of your diagnosis because self-medication may only exacerbate the problem. Do you know of a place in your town where you can go for free or a reduced rate?

Heartburn (GERD)

Heartburn (GERD) Guide