Is hair healthier if you cut it more often?

By HERWriter Blogger July 10, 2014 - 4:44pm

I like to grow my hair out long, but is it healthier to cut my hair frequently? When I grow my hair out for a long time I get bad split ends even though I like the length. I also heard hair can grow quicker if you cut it regularly. How often should I cut my hair?

HERWriter Blogger

Hi Susan!

Thanks for the helpful response! I'm trying to grow my hair out so these are great tips to know to keep my hair healthy and long. I've got to work on limiting blow drying. Luckily the summer heat can help with that! :)

Hi Erin

Many hair stylists tell you every 6-8 weeks for hair cutting which is fine for men with short hair but if you want any kind of length, that will never work.  The bottom of your hair is dead (all hair is) so cutting it often won't make it grow longer, it'll actually keep it short. 

I have long hair and I'd like it even longer. I get an inch off my hair every 6 months which rids me of split ends and still allows my hair to grow. 

To avoid split ends (these can shorten you hair by causing your hair to split and break off) , nourish your hair very well. Use a rich, organic conditioner without chemicals and go easy on shampooing - don't shampoo every day if your hair is dry. 

Keep your hair dye free if you can but there are great organic hair dyes like henna that are available. See what your beauty store or drug store has to offer. 

Liming blow drying or flat-ironing. 

Hair does not grow faster if you cut it more often, however it may grow stronger (about half an inch per month) if it is healthy. 

Read more about keeping hair healthy:

I hope this helps!