Menopause

Menopause Guide

ask: Have you heard of the homeopathic drug Livial?

By Michelle King Robson Expert HERWriter

My friend Debbie, emailed me today and asked the above question. Has anyone heard about this alternative treatment? If so, does it work?
I'll do my own research and let everyone know what I find out.

Be well,

Michelle

Anonymous

I am 32 years of age, live in the UK, I have just had my 2nd Ovary removed in June 09 due to a cyst, now I am having horrible hot flushes cannot sleep infact I am just like the living dead.
I have been given today by my GP Livial Tibolone 2.5mg to stop my hot flushes, and been advised that this will help prevent Osteoporosis.
I am quite happy in taking these pills, but so worried about the Breast Cancer scare. Breast Cancer doesn't run through my family but still worried. Also I have read that Livial gives you pains and swelling in the neck and joints around the body. I am overweight by around 2/3 stone and I know I will have to try and loose this shorlty, but I don't want to risk a stroke aswell. Can anyone help who knows about this tablet,...Gina

Anonymous

I am a 53 yr old American woman who lives in Kuwait. I have taken Livial for 3 years now and feel it is wonderful. My hot flashes are greatly reduced. I can sleep at night and my last bone desity test showed I'm doing very well and showing no signs of Osteoporosis. I give Livial a hearty thumbs up!

Anonymous

I had a hysterectomy in July 2007 and initially took Premarin until I found out how it was produced. I have been on Livial since October 2007 and so far so good. I have a great complexion now, my hair is growing back (it started to fall our after the surgery), but unfortunately I still have hot flushes and I have put on at least 1 stone in weight, but I am not sure if the weight issue is anything to do with the drug. My mum had breast cancer and died at the age of 46 years old and my GP recommended this HRT because she feels it is one of the safest for me.

Tina Tran

For those who aren't quite sure what Livial is, check out this article from the University of Florida quoting the New England Journal of Medicine study .... Livial® (tibolone), an agent used to reduce menopausal symptoms as well as bone loss, significantly reduces the risk of breast cancer and prevents bone loss and fractures; however, it doubles the risk of stroke among postmenopausal women. These results were recently published in the New England Journal of Medicine.

Historically, women have often been treated with hormone-replacement therapy (HRT) in order to reduce menopausal symptoms. However, research has emerged indicating that HRT is associated with an increased risk of breast cancer. Since these studies have been published, the use of HRT has decreased dramatically.

Livial is an agent that is approved in 45 countries to relieve menopausal symptoms and in 90 countries to prevent bone loss. It contains properties that mimic both female and male hormones.

For more, visit this link.

Anonymous

my oestrogen levels have dramatically dropped according to my gp and he wants me to start taking livial.I am a bit apprehensive about it as it sounds a lot like hrt to me. I suppose what im asking is am i at any risk to my health the same as i would taking hrt. I need help with my decision. I have suffered from high blood pressure for a few years so am a bit scared

Anonymous

Replying to poster. I am a 10 + years post menopausal, young single, sexually active, 42 year old. I have been taking Generic Livial (Tibofem) for several months. I will tell you I had put on 30 lbs prior (had stopped all estrogen replacement therapy) and have lost it all. I will tell you my vaginal atrophy has stopped. I am loving life and attribute it to Generic Livial (Tibofem). It is available online at http://www.inhousepharmacy.com and you are not breaking any laws buying it. I feel much like my pre-menopausal/pre-indometriosis self and I love it! Life is for living!

Diane Porter (reply to Anonymous)

While we all need to be our own advocates for our health, I have to say it seems incredibly risky to go online and buy a drug without consulting someone first. Did you originally have a doctor recommend this for you? Are you in the States? Does your current doctor know you take this medicine and approve? Thanks in advance for answering my questions. You can understand how a substance with seemingly so many benefits and so few negative side effects might make some people want to just start it without proper consultation.

Michelle King Robson Expert HERWriter

Hi Dr. Goldstone,

First of all, thanks for coming to our site to share this information with me, and all women who are experiencing menopause symptoms. I was not familiar with this drug at all.

So interesting that its not FDA approved here or in Canada. The age old question...I wonder why? It's just like the Intrinsa patch for women. Something we are dire need of.

It sounds like it has virtually no side effects. I would love to know more about this drug and will do some additional research and post some links where women can read more information on the drug.

If you can send me any links on research or more info that I can share with our EmpowHer women, that would be great.

Thanks again for coming and sharing with us. I hope you will continue to help us flush out questions like this.

Best in health,

Michelle

Anonymous (reply to Michelle King Robson)

I have been on Livial for about 6 month now and find it amazing. I feel completely normal again and it just has so many benefits. I was having night terrors and panic attacks (only in my sleep) which I have never experienced before in my life and put down to menopause. These all disappeared once I started taking Livial. I am no longer tired and much more active. Sleep is fantastic - I sleep so soundly now. I rave over it to all my friends. Two of them said that they wouldn't try it because of the risk of cancer which I found hilarious as they are both heavy smokers.

Do you have hot flashes due to menopause? :