Help with dealing with gastritis!

By April 13, 2010 - 5:47am

Hey, I'm 21 and just got diagnosed with gastritis. I've torn the net apart looking for what to eat/what not to eat/ when I can finally go out again! To be honest, it's not much good as a lot of sites contradict each other.

Any help on foods to eat and avoid would be deeply appreciated, as I live a very busy lifestyle and need quick convenience foods to keep me going!

Thats great, thank you! I've kinda been following something similar to that BRAT diet- mainly wholemeal bread and cereal, yogurt, banana, wholemeal rice and fish (cod and tuna mostly)

I have felt sharp pains sometimes after eating bananas though...

I've switched to decaf tea- is it true i should be eliminating caffeine?

I'm going for an endoscopy next month to decipher the exact cause so I'll know more soon!

Hi jcoll07

Thanks for your question and welcome! Sorry about the gastritis, it's a horrible condition but I hope it clears up for you soon.

Treatment may include:

These include:

H 2 blockers
Proton pump inhibitors
Antibiotics to treat Helicobacter pylori infection

If you are diagnosed with gastritis, follow your doctor's instructions .

To help prevent gastritis:

Avoid alcohol.
Do not smoke.
Ask your doctor if any of the medications you are taking might be irritating your stomach. You might need to change your current medicines. You may need to take another medication to coat and protect your stomach lining.
If you notice that certain foods are irritating, stop eating them. Spicy food can cause irritation. Some people feel better when they eat a bland diet.
Read more on our gastritis page here: http://www.empowher.com/media/reference/gastritis#definition

In terms of foods that will go down well (or at least better than others), try the BRAT diet. Bananas, rice, apples and toast. I am a great believer in this diet as a way to ease the belly back into eating and these are healthy options. As well as these foods, try a wheat based cereal (no added sugar) that has fiber and almonds and yogurts are also a good idea. Just stay away from spices, salts, curries, and hot foods. Keeping it organic will help against needless additives that may upset the belly.

If your gastritis is a one off attack, this will help you bounce back in no time. If your gastritis is chronic, you will need a complete nutritional makeover. Let us know if it's chronic and we can help you more.

Does this information help?

Gastritis Guide