Help!!am i pregnant?

By July 21, 2009 - 2:36am

iam 19 years old.am stressed up because i think i may be pregnent.i had protected intercourse sometime in may but i took an emergency pill.My periods came as expected on 2nd june but lasted for only 3 days instead of the usual 5 days.i again had intercourse(used a condom) 19th june .My periods came on 23rd june which was after 21 days and lasted for 5 days .I have not had sex ever since but i feel pregnant,am bloated and feel nauseous.i took a HPT on the 19th day of my cycle and it was negative.am 1 day late but at times i can stay for upto 33,35 and 42 days for my periods to come.Am an university student and handling my studies and the thought of being pregnant is really stressing

Great news! I was pretty sure you were not pregnant but one can never have a definitive answer in these areas as the body (and mind!) work in mysterious ways!

I hope you are less stressed now, and make sure you keep up the reliable birth control so you can concentrate on being a university student - and include some fun too!

thank you.My period came 3 days ago and thats a week late..

Hi Tshiku

Welcome and thanks for your question!

It doesn't sound likely that you're pregnant based on what I've read of your contraceptive use but since abstinence is the only guarantee that you are not pregnant, there is always a chance, however slight.

If you haven't had sex since your last period then it's highly likely you're not pregnant (meaning you could be pregnant only if the "period" you talk about was actually implantation bleeding - but this kind of bleeding isn't like a regular 5 days period like you had so it's very doubtful).

A test on day 19 of your cycle would be inaccurate as the earliest you could reliably take a test is day 23 or 24 of a regular 28 day cycle.

The bloating could be PMS or your diet - and that nausea could very possibly be nerves. If you are nervous and/or dreading a pregnancy, then bloating and nausea would not be unusual - the bloating due to gastro-intestinal issues brought on by stress (and it's quite common!) and nausea is a common symptom of your kind of stress.

While there is always a chance of pregnancy, I think your symptoms are more stress related. But taking a test will let you know - and ease your mind. If you are 1 day late already, then you are ready to take a test now.

Will you update us?