Night Sweats

Night Sweats Guide

ask: Hi, I am 35-years-old and I have been having night sweats for about the past 8 years. I have been told over and over that it is not perimenopause because I am too young. I have had my thyroid checked, TB checked and everything checked out and everything

By aeades01

seems to be good. I have been given no explanation as to why I am having these night sweats. I have been told by the doctors that it is not hormonal because I am on birth control and that would take care of them. It is really driving me crazy. I have them really bad and smell soured. The doctor just says that they don't know and that if it was anything serious I would be having alot of problems by now! Which to me is not a good enough answers. Please help with any advise you might have on this and also if you know if you can take Estroven even if you are not menopausal and if it will still help with the night sweats. Any advice you have would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

aeades01

Well I have asked them if it is my hormones and two doctors have told me no, because I am on birth control and if it was my hormone levels that the birth control would fix it, and if something was wrong with my hormone levels that is what they would do to correct it is put me on birth control, so they have not checked my hormone levels. Going off the birth control is not an option right now. I have two children. I have had the night sweats on and off the birth control. I am not sure if I have sleep apnea or not. The doctor seemed to think to that they might be from anxiety, so they put me on Zoloft and i have been taking it for about 4 or 5 months, but I can't tell any difference in the way it makes me feel and I also still have the night sweats just the same. Is it safe to take the Estroven, even if you are not menopausal? My mom had also said that she had night sweats starting in her early 30s, so not sure if that has anything to do with it or not, but I started with them at about age 27. I do think that it is probably hormonal because when I was pregnant with my second child I did not have them as much, but do you know what else could be done besides birth control to correct it if it is my hormone levels? Thanks for your response!

Anonymous (reply to aeades01)

I have the same problem--I am 32 with profuse night sweating and wind up smelling like something akin to a locker room in the morning. I've never been to a doctor specifically about this because I don't see any additional symptoms that indicate diabetes, etc. My blood sugar is always normal at check-ups, though I am overweight and probably do have sleep apnea (according to my husband!).
I do take Zoloft and have been on it for years--but in this case, you're in for a double whammy because while anxiety can cause night sweats, so can anti-depressants.
In my case, I'm probably up against a little bit of insulin-resistance, antidepressant use, and the sleep apnea. Perhaps the best cure is lots of water before bed--that way, you have to get up four times a night ANYWAY and might break the 'sweat' cycle--though this is hardly appealing! Best of luck from one smelly sleeper to another...

Hi aeades01

I wonder if you came off the birth control and had your hormones checked, what the results would be? Would you be able to do that?

From what I gather, you don't seem to have any other symptoms - is that correct? You have excessive sweating at night and nothing else is going on?

There could be some simple explanations like bedding or room temperature but you seem smart enough that you'd have figured that out!

You may be suffering from a condition called Sleep Hyperhydrosis. While many people with hyperhydrosis have it all the time, some only have it during sleep. It often starts in the late teens or 20s which might make sense in your case. According to Stanford University, it can be caused by:

febrile (feverish) illness
diabetes insipidus (the chronic excretion of large amounts of pale urine, acompanied by extreme thirst)
Hyperthyroidism (A disorder in which the thyroid is over-active)
Pheochromocytoma (secretion from usually benign cells in the brain that produces excessive sweating as one of its symtoms)
Hypothalamic lesions
Epilespy
Cerebral and brain stem strokes
Cerebral palsy
Chronic paroxysmal hemicrania (sudden onset migrane)
Spinal cord infarction (sudden insufficiency in blood supply)
Head injury
Familial dysautomia (a congenital syndrome with specific disturbances of the nervous system)
Can occur in pregnancy and can be produced by antipyretic medications (anti-nausea)
The sleep disorder, obstructive sleep apnea syndrome
http://www.stanford.edu/~dement/sweats.html

It's important to note that sleep hyperhydrosis is often seen in people with sleep apnea. Do you have this condition or suspect you may have? I hope this helps and that we hear back from you!

~Susan