ask: High Sex Drive: Normal or Abnormal?

Is there really such thing as a sexual peak when you hit at a certain age? I have been pretty promiscuous since I was about 19 years old and I am now 32 years old and my sex drive becomes higher and higher every year. Is this normal?

I always hear men complain that their women do not like to have sex and within a group of my friends, there are only two of us that have high sex drives. Can someone clear the air about this subject?

Anonymous

Every one is different. I am male and now 34 and since my teens my sex drive has been through the roof. If I was with someone that didn't want it all the time I would lust for it more and am still yet to find someone that can equal me. I am talking double figures every day. I have been married for 13 years to someone that I would conceder zero sex drive, I am talking months with out wanting it and I have to get by with a mutual no strings partner in the same predicament. She has a family and doesn't want to separate and I am the same. Lets just keep it quiet and no one gets hurt :)

Anonymous

I'm a 33 year old woman, I started masturbating from a very young age and was able to orgasm at 7. I lost my virginity at 14 to someone I only wanted to use to lose my virginity so I could start having sex, the use was mutual. After that I refused to be in relationships had frequent sex with multiple partners of a wide age range for many years. Then when I finally started more serious relationships and for the last 10 years I was able to be monogamous but still needed me time for masturbation, then I stopped all dating and only had men as friends and/or sex partners and I loved every second of it, I was respectful to them and they were they same to me. I've often wondered how much different or easy my life could be if I was a sex worker, or at least took sabbatical and completely indulged in all things sexual. There's something in me that drives it and the only way I can keep level is with medication and frequent sex because leading a life where you work, have friends and family and other responsibilities is impossible when all you can think about is how turned on you are and how badly you want to have sex. I wasn't abused and I was raised well, I'm educated and I'm open minded. This is a very taboo topic and I've never talked about this with anyone. For anyone who relates seriously, use protection, I'm lucky to be clean. Also use birth control until you're under control. This type of behavior can cause us to be incredibly self centered and many of us aren't able to make the best decisions because of the power this desire has over us. Also it's ok to be this way, but be honest with the ones you care for and be respectful to everyone.

Anonymous

I am a 39 year old woman...my whole life i have had a very low sex drive..about a month ago i had my fallopian tubes removed and since, i have had a crazy high sex drive, and to be honest I am not sure how to deal with it. Masturbation seems to relieve the feeling for a little bit, but it always comes back..not the next day or a couple days later, but within hours?? I am so confused and a little freaked out. A little advise to help would be great..thank you.

I have the same problem except for me it was after a hysterectomy (I still have my ovaries) so I'm guessing it's the surgery, I've been looking for answers too. I know when I used to go on the pill it used to kill my drive, I can't take it now due to a health contraindication but maybe it would help you?

Anonymous

I am an 18 year old female, and my sex drive has come to interfere with my day-to-day life, I'm in college and I have trouble focusing on homework and class because I cant get my mind off sex. I knew I was a very sexual person from a disturbingly young age, I've been masturbating since around age seven. I had a lot of issues with men emotionally, so I have not yet had a set in stone relationship yet. However some of this has eased since becoming intimate with men. I have only been sexually active for about a year but in this time I have had seven sexual partners, I'm always safe, and respectful of the person but it feels like I can never get enough. I look to sex to ease everyday stress. Yet my libido is often the source of mush of my frustration, and unless I have sex multiple times in a row, I am not satisfied. One round of intercourse will leave me wanting it more than before. I need to know how to decrease my sex drive desperately, I am not ashamed of sex or my sexuality I value it very much and believe that women should be more empowered to celebrate their sexuality. But this is a little too much in my case.

Wow sounds interesting , my girl friend's been complaining so much about my intensity on interrcourse..which made me have the view that women has a low sex drive, but with cases related to ur"s seems interesting now all u have to do is to get a person like me that couldn't get enough from age 10 uptill my 30, I still miss it even the moment after like I've never had sex in my life.. To which I've been unable to get some1 to heal it.. To me its a good thing, that's all I have to share

Anonymous

I'm 17 years old. I have a much higher sex drive than the guy I'm currently seeing. It's really frustrating because he is inexperienced with girls with a high SD and he finds it intimidating. I get sexually frustrated so easily that all it takes is a look. Whether I'm doing the looking or someone else is looking at me. Be it male or female, I'm pretty much undressing people with my eyes all the time.

I too have an extremely high sex drive, and my partner of going on eight years has a fairly low libido. I go nuts and find myself masturbating constantly. I am a 22 year old female

Anonymous

I have a high SD I realized this for 1 most of all my past relationships were valued by quality of sex.2. I noticed a 2 year break up cycle. 3 I have never been single. I have always had an out let so never have had a prob. But now the man i want to be with and omg possibly marrie is 20 years older than me and cnt handle my inner freak. I just want to slow it down a couple 10 notches and dnt know how. As a matter of fact lack of seems to be making it worse. I just want to be calm like i was before. And stop thinking about sex so i can enjoy this man. The otherday he was talking and i was undressing him with my eyes pretending to listen. I felt like... so not a good person.

Anonymous

I am 27 yr female married to a great guy 10yrs my senior since 2006. Known my husband since 2005 after graduating high school. I have a very high sex drive. And have had affairs on and off since 2007 when his drive went down. I know it isn't right but I Cannot get enough sex and then I fell in love with a boyfriend (2007-2010) but ultimately stayed with Husband due to kids :-(

Now I met this guy (19yr) and he's amazing both in and out of bed and I want to know what people think. Is it crazy for me to Want out of this marriage where our libido just doesn't work? I also have pondered leaving just to be single and have all the fun I want or I have this friend (my age) who's wife is leaving him because their sexual preferences don't match. She wants a lot of sex but not with him and he wants sex with her more frequently plus some group sex which she told him he is crazy. I think me and him might be an awesome fit sexually but then I don't know if I like him enough to give up a great bf who makes me want to leave my husband. Any suggestions for me on This would be greatly appreciated

Need Your Feedback! What health topics would you like to see covered more on EmpowHER.com?:

Did you know that your Internet Browser is out of date?

We're sorry to inform you that you're using a really old web browser and we are unable to support it anymore. A list of the most popular web browsers can be found below. -The EmpowHER Development Team

By closing this window, you acknowledge your experience on this website may be degraded

Close this window