How can I eliminate the aerophagia/gastric insufflation caused by my CPAP machine?

By Anonymous April 28, 2009 - 6:37pm

I was diagnosed with obstructive sleep apnea in 2007 and was prescribed a straight CPAP machine. From the first night I used the CPAP I suffered from excessive gas. Several medical "experts" told me I was swallowing air and I should raise my head or take something for the gas. I changed masks (full-face, partial, nasal prong). I got a heated humidifier. Nothing worked. After further reading I found that it isn't aerophagia but gastric insufflation caused when the CPAP blows air directly into my stomach (I also have a hiatal hernia). Surgery for my apnea is out of the question. I have TMJ so that eliminates an oral appliance. Would changing the type of CPAP work? If so, what should I be looking at?

I have used a CPAP for 10 years with the pressure being raised a few times. Suddenly about three months ago, I would wake up with painful gas and a bloated stomach. I have an appt. with a Gastro-Entero doctor which I will likely cancel now. I was at my first appt. with a new Sleep Doc. and the technician and I were discussing pressures and he mentioned something about 'swallowing air' !!
I had never heard of this and of course, it had never been my issue before now.
There are days when I am less than fully functional because of the gas pains. I do not seem to pass much of it and I assume it absorbs. Now we will be looking at a BiPaP to see if the variable pressures...inhale/exhale...can solve this issue. But, why has this just now started for me? after 10 years. My pressure has been 17-20 for about a year and a half. Now it is 18-20...so the gas may worsen. I also have yet to find an OTC medication to alleviate any of it. This is a bummer !!

Anonymous (reply to CJC)

Wow, you sound like me. I have used a bipap for several years. Late last year , I gradually started swallowing air. Now it is constant. I wake up in so much pain. My stomach seems to be getting bigger. I've tried everything. I cut out the carbonated drinks, I bought a power bed to raise my head, and tried all the usual GERD medications. Nothing helps. Its embarrassing.

Anonymous

I've been having occasional severe pain from gastric insufflation since I started using BIPAP a coupleof months ago. Last night I woke up in severe pain and severly bloated. It took about an hour but finally most of the gas passed and the pain subsided. At the time I was thinking of going to ER I was in so much pain. Can this be a life threatening event? Should I stop the BiPAP?

This is only life threatening if the gastric insufflation causes you to throw up and aspirate/inhale the gastric contents into the lungs. Your settings are likely too high whether CPAP or BIPAP. Consider an updated sleep study especially if you have had a change in weight. Also consider a nasal mask.

This was ME last night. It totally freaked me out. I was certain I was going to die from the pain (it was so intense). I have been on the BiPAP for a few years and it happens occasionally but never as bad as last night. I was 30 seconds away from heading to the ER. I dread using my BiPAP tonight for the fear of it happening again but I really don't have a choice.

You may have your BIPAP on a very high setting - do you? Also, do you know if you breath through your nose or mouth? Mouth breathing is a culprit of this kind of gastric insufflation. It's not a life threatening event but it's an enormously painful one. You must have pretty severe sleep apnea to be on a BIPAP, is that correct?

I'm going on night 3 of my new CPAP machine. Today I awoke with severe stomach pain, gassiness, bloating and constant belching alllllll daaaaayyyy long, Grrrrrr!!! How annoying. I swear to me, this thing isn't worth using if I'm going to be in constant agony every day! I mean it was so bad I did not get 1 thing accomplished. :( So I found your forum here to get some answers and I have so thanks much. Going to learn more about my machine compared to other kinds. Going in to see my sleep doc to get her advice on maybe lowering the pressure for a bit then titrating it up a little each month to see if I can acclimate to it better.

HERWriter Guide (reply to KC's Creations)

Hi KC's Creations

I'm sorry you're going through this! As I have mentioned before, my husband had to do a lot in order to achieve a healthy and comfortable level over the years. The first few weeks/months are hard (I know that's bad to hear when you are only a few days in) but it will get better - keep us posted as to how your doctor visit goes. 

Anonymous

I am on a 2 week trial of an apap and then they will set my new cpap, but I have noticed quite a bit of gas and bloating on the apap. will this get worse once they set it to one level?

Anonymous

Taping your mouth shut doesn't stop gastric insufflation, since your nose is connected to your esophagus as well. Air forced into your nose is getting passed the sphincter at the bottom of your esophagus. Talk to your doc about switching to an APAP. Lower pressure for most of the time will greatly reduce the gas.

Gastritis

Gastritis Guide