How can I tell if tap water is safe to drink?

By June 24, 2014 - 6:01pm

Should I be filtering my tap water? How do I know if the tap water around me is safe to drink? Is there an easy way to tell if the tap water is safe to drink if I am traveling? 

Hi Kelly,

Great question - something I am familiar with since we operate on a well! 

City water is treated and is considered safe but filtered water does taste far better! It's a matter of taste for some people. Filters are easy to have put in and if you want great tasting water, it's worth it. I can tell city water from filtered water in one drop! 

It could cost a thousand dollars but may be worth it for the long-term - it was very much worth it for us. 

As far as safety goes, I'll tell you what we do. Since we have  well, we have filtered water. But once a year we go to the water authority and get a container filled with different kinds of water quality strips.  You can also get these at Home Depot, Lowes and other places like this.

These different strips will tell you how healthy your water is based on levels of bacteria, hardness, sulfur (that's the stuff that smells like rotten eggs and anyone with well water will tell you this!), iron, lead and other potential contaminants.  

Some test strips are better than others - do your research! 

You can also fill a container with water and send it to a lab - you will get excellent results by doing this. 

With regard to travelling outside the States - some countries are known for having bad water - two examples are Mexico and India.  Simply drink ONLY bottled water - even for teeth washing. Even if it's expensive - it's worth it - avoid local water completely and shower with your mouth closed (seriously, most of us rinse our hair with our mouths wide open!). 

Check with locals about water quality but if in doubt - stick to bottled.  Developed countries are generally safe, under-developed countries are not. 

Here is Michelle King Robson's take on drinking water: 

Kelly, has this helped?

Diet & Nutrition

Diet & Nutrition Guide