How Do i control My eating habits?

By April 27, 2011 - 10:27am

Hi good afternooon, Im having very bad days !!! concerning my weight and my eating habits, i want to be able to control how i eat, i feel like apig!! :( im 19 years old i weigh 120 pounds, but its all in my stomach! i cant go out the day without eating, my stomach hurts, if i dont eat, i know it sound sstupid! but i mean in between hours i have to eat too, and it odesnt matter if i already ATE, im not hungry but i have this urge to eat!! almost as it were an addiction! and i say it to myself and i tell my roommates i cant eat so much, and when it comes to it i en gobbling down all of it and plus more. i wasnt seeing my weight go up alot befor ebut all of A sudden it slike my metabolism stopped functioning and its all on my belly, its hard its not like flabby looking!! and i get depressed when isee it, but "youd figur eit would be enough motivation to stop eating" but its not i just get more angry and EAT ANYTHING I FIND! in excessive ! :( please someone help me out !!, in my head also out of depression and anger i think of vomiting, and rarely have suicidal thougths, but theyve been ther e:( i dont know what to doo, is there like anti hunger pills? or like fat burning so i can takee because i swear i will go crazy if i see my belly get bigger and bigger . :(

please and thank you....... im probably gonna goo gobble down some food right now while i wait for a reply because im soo hungry! :(

Hi Bashful,

I too am just the same. I have unfortunately struggled with an eating disorder since I was 19 - am now 33, and really it has totally taken over my life. I struggled with anorexia for many years, and have now seemed to swing the other way. I am not - overweight as such, but like you described, I cannot stop eating all the time, and my belly is getting bigger and bigger.
I am reading the comments from anonymous - I kind of agree with it being about what you eat, however, I think it also depends on why you eat - as in what's going on inside. I think here is the difference between one with a healthier view of food and one with an eating disorder...cos one with an ED won't be able to just stop and change the patterns easily and rationally, even tho they know it in their head. It will seem almost impossible to change in many ways until dealing with the cause. However, if it simply a matter of just needing to change your diet a bit, then see if you can try it out and see what happens.

Hope that kind of helps!! Really tho, if you are edgeing on the ED side please find help asap cos they really do take over and steel your life!!

It's all about WHAT you eat, not how much. Try eating foods that are high in protein or dietary fiber, and cut out processed foods and foods that are high in sugar. Also, try increasing the amount of water you drink, especially right before a meal. There's a lot more detail on this subject on sites like BetterMedicine.com if you want to find out more. Also, get food out of your site and exercise. I hope those tips help!

Hi Bashful

You said you eat when you are hungry and also when you are not? That's the case with many Eating Disordered people. You may be a binge eater or a compulsive over eater (and at 19, your metabolism may still be able to handle it) but I think it's a very good idea to talk to a doctor about your compulsive eating habits before they truly get out of control.

I know we have helped you out on this issue before so I have reposted your last thread with some good advice on it, for you to take another look at:

Please call your doctor and make an appointment and let us know how it goes. You may need a combination of a diet/nutrition and therapy program and your doctor can help you with these decisions. This way of life isn't good for you physically or emotionally, as I'm sure you know. Help it out there!

Susan Cody,
yes I have had this problem before, well almost for a long time now, and it seems to be getting worse. i have read the links you sent me, and well i been trying this healthy diet, and stayong away. from the "bad foods" as say ...if im gonna be a compulsive eater, im gonna buy more veggies and fruits so i have them at reach! :) haha but then your saying it is an eating disorder? beacuse if soo id most definetly want to go to visit the doctor, but see thats why i ask here:S and try to get the most help possible because i am a full time student and i dont have any money to go to the doctors, its kind of expensive, ive asked around :S :( but thank you so much for the help :)

HERWriter Guide (reply to Bashful)

Hi Bashful

I didn't actually say you had an eating disorder - I'm just putting some possibilities out there since you have such a difficulties relationship with food.

There are free meetings for people who have these kinds of relationships with food - try looking here: http://www.eatingdisordersanonymous.org/

While you don't need an official diagnosis to join a support group, if you are feeling unwell about upset about your eating habits, then see a health care professional. You can try here for a free health clinic near you: http://findahealthcenter.hrsa.gov/Search_HCC.aspx

Support groups are also generally free of charge so all in all, you should not have any out of pocket expenses.

I hope this helps and please take some steps to help yourself! We wish you the best!

Diet & Nutrition

Diet & Nutrition Guide