Obesity

ask: how do I find a therapist to help with compulsive overeating, obesity and anxienty. Someone who participates with my insurance carrier.

I am a 52 yr woman, about 80lbs overweight, have been overweight since childhood, obese since I was 19, am not a candidate for lapband surgery. I am isolated, lonely, ill with diabetes, high blood pressure heart disease, asthma, depressed and anxious and I cannot find an appropriate therapist on my plan. I just don't have the energy to call everyone on the list to find out if they are taking new patients and if they can help with my issues.

Thank you for your post and I'm sorry to see you are going through so much.

I know that finding out who covers what via insurance is a real pain but I think that's probably your only option right now.

Your doctor may know something about it but they generally leave insurance issues to their staff. Perhaps you could start there?

Do you have a friend who could help research for you? Many doctors state what insurance they take via their websites so you wouldn't have to deal with all the calls. But having someone to help can ease the chore.

Unfortunately you will have to put some legwork in. You might try 5 doctors per day so as not to overwhelm yourself, but still be doing something constuctive to help youself get some help.

Also, see if the doctors who cannot help you know someone who can; they would be a good resource for you!

What do you think? Do any of these suggestions seem feasible to you?

How often do you diet?: