how do I know when pityriasis rosea is healing?

I was diagnosed with pityriasis rosea almost 6 weeks ago. Apparently it takes 6-8 weeks to disappear, but I keep finding new spots every time I shower, new red spots seem to pop up. The first ones I got seem to keep changing. Does anyone know what these spots are meant to look like before they just disappear?

Anonymous

So i was diagnosed with PR a week ago and in 2 weeks from now I'm going to a new school, I'm freaking out because even though is december and where i am currently because of the holidays is cold and i can wear clothes that cover the rash where my new school is located it is actually very hot and i'm afraid my clothes will show the red spots and i'm just very scared that people might see it since i'm going to be the new kid and maybe i'm just nervous but can someone please tell me if this is going to finish before i begin classes in 2 weeks?

Anonymous

Hello guys I've been touched by the PR as well and good news in only 2 weeks I got rid of it ! For me there were no pre symptoms , I discovered the horrible rash in the evening while I was trying a new sweater in a store...surprise!! So went to the doctor, got diagnosed and of course went home with the one advise: wait and it'll go away. Went to a second doctor and he told me about this mineral which actually makes the rash go away faster and prevents from recurring called Lysine. The next day I started taking 2 times per day Lysine pills ( 2 in the moring and 2 in the evening) , drinking more water , eating healthier (no sugar, fried stuff, coffee or alcohol). In the evening after taking a lukewarm shower I would moisturize my body with Eucerin cream (calming itch relief lotion) and just to make sure I would sleep well & not waking up cuz of the itchiness I put on top Calamine....and after 2 weeks all gone, it's possible!!hope this works for you, it really helped me out! good luck!!

Anonymous

Hi people! I found this forum by accident. I live in Brazil, so I'm sorry if my English is not so good. I have Pitiriase Rosea for 37 days now and many spots have gone away (lots of water, vitamin C, vitamins eating fruits, medicines that increase immunity). I'm not eating sweet, fried, fat. My ointment is called Fisiogel Ai which is expensive, but it helped me a lot, all the inflammations were gone in about two weaks. However, as I said, in some places it disappeared and in other places it turned pale brown and has been like this for 3 weeks. I am very white woman, and my spots are pigmented. Has anyone here gone through this ?? And how long does it take to get out for normal skin?Or what treatment can I do to lighten these dark spots? Thank you so much!

Anonymous

I have my PR for almost 3 weeks now. My heralds patched appeared on my thigh it was itchy so i scrathed it and it got worsed(so much for scratching eh) after a few days a lot of little red blothed appeared on my wrist(still can't stop scratching it though) then suddenly i felt that my body was like full of crawling ants and it was so itchy all over. I went to the doctor but even her don't have any idea what it was, she gave me meds that even made it worse, i went to her for the 2nd time and she gave me vit.C and benadryl but i don't think it really helped me.

Now i was so desperate because my body was full of black spots and that scally thing google is talking about, i can't even eat properly because whenever i eat chicken, pork or any seafoods i feel itchy all over.

But, now that i had read all your experiences finally, i can find ways to atleast ease this itchy feeling. I will try what you all said (atleast those not so expensive) and i will get back to you for the results.
Thank you all.

(reply to Anonymous)

I am on the lookout for some treatment agains my pityria rosea (as i belive it is).

Can anyone recommend a good doctor in santa rita (py) to help me?

Anonymous

I got it also. I think if its related to stress. our main energy centers also will be unbalanced which allows a weak and empty spot in the aura. I experienced loss of apetite. Wasn't able to eat enough or well. Was losing weight alarmingly due to stress. I think breathing exercises like: Pranayam will balance many health issues along with. I tried putting an ice on my fufeng point on the neck. Chinese culture believe there is a single pressure point that relates to a numerous health issues. Massaging this point in the middle area (about 2cm by 2cm) of the right lower inner arm may balance a lot of health issues not only for this skin problem. Peace

Anonymous

And another case of Pityriasis Rosea.. (London, UK)
Herald patch appeared on my back on Sunday 4 Sept, by Sunday 17 Sept, the breakout had happened over my stomach -chiefly-, on my inner elbows, on my inner arms near my armpits, on my chest, on my back, and around my neck.
Using antihistamine & an emollient, the first few days of the week commencing 18 Sep showed a slow-down in new patches, only 2 days ago (that's 3 weeks post-herald patch), more and more rash is appearing on my breasts, neck -up to my chin, stomach, bikini line, and thighs. A few have also appeared on my calves this morning.
The weird part is that the new breakout is not completely in line with the previous shape of wide, oval pink/brown patches but it's, mostly, in the form of spots (like pin-head spots) and they are everywhere, as mentioned. Anyone else can report something similar?

Re. Head & Shoulder, do people use it as a shower gel under the running water, or am I supposed to keep it on my body for 5 minutes and then rinse?
Is this routine supposed to happen more than once a day?

Yesterday (24 Sept), since the itch and -above all- burning has worsened, I started applying a lavender massage oil (Bochéry Nature, Greek brand) on my body and used some on the sole of my feet just now (since soles are highly absorbent). Not sure how useful this will be but I read that lavender has anti-viral qualities. The reason it's massage oil is because I was told the essential oil would be too strong to apply on the skin.
Any reported experiences with lavender (massage) oil?

I cannot wear clothes at all, even when I put cotton clothing on. How have people dealt with having to go to the office and be in a corporate, client-facing role and weeks of this?
I also cannot shave for fear of aggravating my skin.

I read in one, singular comment that the person exercised during their PR bout: has anyone done it and does it heat up the rash or does it help overall?

Standing-up tanning booth: did 5 minutes on 22 Sept and 9 minutes today (3 days on). The frequency of UV exposure, as well as the length of the sessions, seem to vary greatly between people on the net. Some recommend a total of 6 sessions in 4 weeks, some every day, some 5 minutes, some 20! It will be useful to know at what stage of the PR bout (e.g. 1 week post-herald patch) did you start UV sessions and how long after (including frequency and length of time) did you actually see the patch start to fade or reduce?

I am going through an acrimonious separation and know that my stress levels are far too high and my immunity system weak, so I am convinced this is what enabled the virus to activate.

One final thing, a bleach bath was recommended on certain forums (you dilute a cap of bleach in a lukewarm bathtub) but I just can't get myself to do that. Anyone done it?

Thanks

Hi I have just been diagnosed today with PR after a week of wondering what the hell was going on with my skin. My rash started in the small of my back and extended out to my ribs. It is now spreading onto my arms and as I am writing this I am starting to feel itchy on my neck! Great!! (not) The first doctor I went to didn't diagnose PR but suggested the bleach bath. It was actually pool salt and bleach with a bit of tea tree oil. It seemed to help a bit especially with the itch. Worth a try.
I have a wedding to go to next weekend and am praying I don't break out with new spots or I am going to look like a freak. :(

Anonymous

To all the fellow PR sufferers. It is truly awful condition that lingers for a very long time. But here are some things that helped me:
1. Boost your immune system. There is an awesome homeopathic medication called Engystol . Its german and manufacturer is Heel. On the box its said for cold and flue, but I've been taking it on and off when i feel my body is physically tired or im super stressed out. Another great natural supplement is Olive leaf extract. Same thing it's great for immune system and has a bunch of other benefits you can look it up. Both can be found on amazon. Vitamins and ginger tea.
2. Itching was insane:(i used cetrinizine in the morning and before bed and also i found this ointment that was great called Herpa One. It relieved itching and was pretty moisturizing. I would use it before bed. Also found it on amazon.
3. Diet and lifestyle. I noticed my itching got worse if I had any alchohol or spicy food. So i tried to eat more plain and healthier. Also was trying to get good sleep and let my body rest. Try to avoid stress.
I hope everyone is feeling better! Good luck!

Anonymous

Thankful for this page. Knowing that I'm not alone and there are other people who undergo this really help me, at least psychologically. It also helps to know that it will subside.

I have a strong guess that I have PR. I went to urgent care about 2 weeks ago, when the herald patch on my back was my main concern. Only had a few of the small rashes back then. The doctor wasn't sure what I had so she prescribed me antifungal and stronger topical cream lotion. She referred me to a dermatologist but can't get in until 2 months from now :( :( So I decided I'd research a lot myself. I used the topical cream and antifungal on both the herald rash and smaller rashes for 2 weeks (stopped last weekend) as I'm super cautious about prolonged use of the topical cream (thinning of the skin). The herald rash got better but still everyday I will find new small rashes, but I think they are somehow suppressed by the topical cream (now I find more appearing faster after stopping this treatment last weekend).

Since last weekend, I started going to tanning. So far have gone to 2 tanning sessions (every other day), at 5 and 7 minutes each, and a couple of sunbathe of 10-15 minutes. Right after the session or sunbathing I put on Head and Shoulder Clinical Strength and waited for 5 minutes before showering it off, followed by putting on Cetaphil restoraderm moisturizing lotion. Tried the desitin at 40% zinc oxide one night but it smelled so badly it made me very very uncomfortable, so I stopped this. So far the appearance of new rash hasn't stopped / slowed down (I'm so ready any time for this) and that defining sign of recovery is not at sight. Most (and a lot of ) rashes are on the torso, with a few on the neck, a few on upper arms and upper legs, and a couple on the lower left cheek. Itch level varies but fortunately I haven't lost much sleep. Hopefully this goes away soon, it's been approx 7-8 weeks since the first appearance of the herald patch.

Pityriasis Rosea