ask: How long does it take for vitamins or supplements to start working?

By GauguinFan December 22, 2008 - 2:38pm

How long does it take for supplements to take effect? For example, I am taking calcium supplements and am wondering how long I will take them for before I see some results? I'm hoping to see healthier, stronger nails.

I don't depend on supplements for over-all health but am wondering if it takes just a couple of weeks to help, or months?

I started taking these small softgels 2 days ago. The 1st day I didnt feel anything different. today is the following morning after taking 2 the 1st day and 4 yesterday. (2 in the morning and 2 before bed on day 2) and Last night I finally got a good nights sleep and slept straight thru the night without getting up(which is very rare for me). So I think they are working. I bought the sundown kind in an orange bottle 1000iu high potency Vitamin D3. So Id say they are kicking in bc I have a problem sleeping. I cant sleep for more than 2 hours without waking up for 10 or 20 minutes and then trying to go back to sleep. It happens everynight all thru the night. I also have severe spine and muscle pain, I dont notice any help in that area yet. I recently read some symtoms of vitamin d deficiency online and knew right away that I was deficient. Ill post another review in a few weeks to see if anything else improves. I definitely recommend these kind that I got! Iam a 34 year old male in average health I also smoke and have high blood pressure and very bad vericose veins in my legs.

So for your spine and muscle pain you should take magnesium it helps relax muscles and nerves well boosting mood and energy it's also been helping people with fibromyalgia pain and depression. I've taken it for about a month I noticed difference within 2days I take it with every meal and for your varicose veins that's a sign of heart circulatory issues I also have that and they're painfull I just take take asprin when it's throbing painfully and I can't stand the vein twitches it thins out your blood so it circulates easily and get it checked by Dr on how sever it is cuz if so I may need to take them out cuz it can lead to heart attack or stroke wish u best on your health journey.

I got my labs online and it said my vitamin D was a 9 and I called my doctor and they want talk to me about it because the lab have not sent it to them yet. Just wondering if I should take something over the counter? Because I am alway tired and sore bones

LLB (reply to Anonymous)

I hope you have gotten the information that you need. You posted in December and it's now March. In any event, I also suffered from low Vitamin D. My #'s were around 18. I am now taking 150,000 iud of Vitamin D a week and I have for the past 4 years. After 4 years the pain in my bones has finally subsided. My numbers have also gone back to normal, I believe I am in the 29 range. It took my body 4 years at these super high doses to get the numbers back up so keep at it. Best of luck to you.

Is there any correlation to Vitamin D deficiency and lack of focus in children? I ask because my 12 year old has been struggling with her grades lately, she seems to be forgetful lately and just seems "off" if that makes any sense. She went for her well visit 2 weeks ago and had some blood work done. They called me with the results today and she is extremely low in Vitamin D. Her result was 16. They told me to give her 1000 MG/day. I'm just wondering if these 2 issues could be related. Does anyone out there have any information on this?
Thank you!

Kellyschoep (reply to Anonymous)

Hi! My name is Kelly Schoephoerster. I wanted to comment because I have something that might help. I'm a partner with Berium international and we have a new all natural supplement called EHT. It promotes healthy brain function and focus. It's high in vitamin D and was found in the lab at Princeton. I invite you to my site and you can see all about EHT. It has helped me tremendously with focus and I can sleep solid through the night now. I just wanted to share because I thought it might help:).

Gluten intolerance/Celiacs can cause many, many awful problems, including ADHD. It also makes it very hard for your body to absorb certain vitamins, including D! So I'd say it'd definitely be worthwhile looking into this, which might be behind both issues.

I can tell you that my vitamin d levels recently came back really low and the reason I even went to the doctor was forgetfulness (like forgetting to turn the water off after washing my hands type forgetfulness) and then feeling off. The other major symptom was that I ache, and I haven't had ache in my joints or bones like this ever. Hope that helps.

beefunk (reply to Anonymous)

I have recently noticed that I have aches in my feet when I get up from sleeping and/or after sitting a long time. It hurts to walk for a bit. I am on 50,000 units of Vit D a week. Are you saying that your aches went away after you started taking Vitamin D or are you taking something else?

I just had lab results come back with "D" deficiency (8.4) I started taking 4,000 iu of D3 yesterday & also added 1200mg Fish Oil today as I read that is helpful in absorption. I'm a woman in my 40's & typically healthy but have been run down feeling since a tooth infection & root canal. I'm hoping I'll start feeling much better now that I'm supplementing & that my D levels will soon be on the rise!

Diet & Nutrition

Diet & Nutrition Guide

Christine Jeffries

What's your favorite veggie? :