Diet & Nutrition

Diet & Nutrition Guide

Christine Jeffries

ask: How long does it take for vitamins or supplements to start working?

By GauguinFan

How long does it take for supplements to take effect? For example, I am taking calcium supplements and am wondering how long I will take them for before I see some results? I'm hoping to see healthier, stronger nails.

I don't depend on supplements for over-all health but am wondering if it takes just a couple of weeks to help, or months?

Anonymous

I got my labs online and it said my vitamin D was a 9 and I called my doctor and they want talk to me about it because the lab have not sent it to them yet. Just wondering if I should take something over the counter? Because I am alway tired and sore bones

Anonymous

Is there any correlation to Vitamin D deficiency and lack of focus in children? I ask because my 12 year old has been struggling with her grades lately, she seems to be forgetful lately and just seems "off" if that makes any sense. She went for her well visit 2 weeks ago and had some blood work done. They called me with the results today and she is extremely low in Vitamin D. Her result was 16. They told me to give her 1000 MG/day. I'm just wondering if these 2 issues could be related. Does anyone out there have any information on this?
Thank you!

I just want to say to this comment the answer is a yes. I am also extremely low in vitamin d. The doctor and I have been struggling to figure out what is wrong with all my symptoms, but it is the lack of vitamin d. I have some serious memory and cognative problems that have developed over the last 2 years. Please don't ignore this. The end game will be heart disease and cancer.

Pat Elliott HERWriter Guide (reply to Anonymous)

Hi Anon -

Children with a mild to moderate vitamin D deficiency may not have any symptoms. Those with a severe deficiency may experience symptoms including bone/muscle pain, muscle weakness, hip pain, fractures, falls and difficulty walking, walking up stairs and getting out of a chair. The pediatic literature does not mention cognitive impacts such as a lack of focus or memory problems.

Regards,

Pat

LLB (reply to Pat Elliott)

Pat,

As someone who also suffers from low Vitamin D I can tell you that my energy level is non-existent when I do not take the additional prescribed vitamins. Everyone is different I know but even though there are not cognitive differences stated in the literature it could certainly be a by product of the lack of vitamin D. I had a really tough time before I got my levels up to where they are now. You absolutely sound like a parent who is on top of their children's health. If she does not respond within a month I would say get back to the Dr. it could be another underlying problem and the Vitamin deficiency could simply be a symptom of that problem. Good luck to you and your daughter.

Anonymous

My symptoms improved within two weeks. After a month I was almost back to 100% normal. :) I have been taking daily vitamin D supplements ever since and have had no other problems.

Anonymous

I am Very vitamin D deficient (I was prescribed to take 5000 IU a day) and I definitely have the MS like symptoms that you all were posting about. How long into taking vitamin d supplements did you start to feel results?

Anonymous

I hope vitamin d3 can help to decrease my sebum production on my face! would it work?

I just started taking a 5,000/day D3 supplement for the same reason. I have the most oily face and it drives me NUTS! When I was younger, everyone told me once you get to your mid-twenties it goes away -- so imagine my depression at being 31 and still having an oil-slick on my face 10 min after washing (not to mention the 5+ times a day I use toner or wipes to re-cleanse my skin). People say, "Well that's good because you won't get wrinkles!" Yet somehow I would rather enjoy at least some portion of my young adult life oil-free at the price of a few wrinkles later. Anyway... I started just 2 days ago. I've heard people have seen amazing improvement within 2-3 weeks (of course there are also reviews from people that say it did nothing or even made it worse), but I can tell you one thing... just 2 days in I've noticed a HUGE improvement in my mood, sleep cycle, and less muscle fatigue/more energy. I'm suspecting that I was severely deficient in vitamin D as I have a LOT of the symptoms. Makes sense as well considering I'm fair skinned, but rarely ever in the sun. I used to tan in beds regularly and whether or not it's attributed to that, I know I felt FAR more energy and vitality when I did. Perhaps that's not related to reducing my vitamin D intake, but something to consider. Long story short, I too am wondering how long it's going to take before I know for sure if the results are from the supplement (or at least to know whether or not I should have seen results within a certain timeframe).

Ulala37

Vitamin D defeciency can be pretty serious. My level was low, but not super low. I had many many problems from it. I had convinced myself that I had MS. I was extremely tired, all the time. I was extremely weak. Muscles hurt. I was off balance. Couldn't walk right. Could barely walk up steps. Finally after several months of going to different Docs, one told me it was my Vitamin D. He told me to take 2000iu a day, and that I would be better in about a month. He was right!! I'm all better now. Never thought Vitamin D defenciency could cause so many problems.

What's your favorite veggie? :