Diet & Nutrition

Diet & Nutrition Guide

Christine Jeffries

ask: How long does it take for vitamins or supplements to start working?

By GauguinFan

How long does it take for supplements to take effect? For example, I am taking calcium supplements and am wondering how long I will take them for before I see some results? I'm hoping to see healthier, stronger nails.

I don't depend on supplements for over-all health but am wondering if it takes just a couple of weeks to help, or months?

Anonymous

Is there any correlation to Vitamin D deficiency and lack of focus in children? I ask because my 12 year old has been struggling with her grades lately, she seems to be forgetful lately and just seems "off" if that makes any sense. She went for her well visit 2 weeks ago and had some blood work done. They called me with the results today and she is extremely low in Vitamin D. Her result was 16. They told me to give her 1000 MG/day. I'm just wondering if these 2 issues could be related. Does anyone out there have any information on this?
Thank you!

Pat Elliott HERWriter Guide (reply to Anonymous)

Hi Anon -

Children with a mild to moderate vitamin D deficiency may not have any symptoms. Those with a severe deficiency may experience symptoms including bone/muscle pain, muscle weakness, hip pain, fractures, falls and difficulty walking, walking up stairs and getting out of a chair. The pediatic literature does not mention cognitive impacts such as a lack of focus or memory problems.

Regards,

Pat

Anonymous

My symptoms improved within two weeks. After a month I was almost back to 100% normal. :) I have been taking daily vitamin D supplements ever since and have had no other problems.

Anonymous

I am Very vitamin D deficient (I was prescribed to take 5000 IU a day) and I definitely have the MS like symptoms that you all were posting about. How long into taking vitamin d supplements did you start to feel results?

Anonymous

I hope vitamin d3 can help to decrease my sebum production on my face! would it work?

Ulala37

Vitamin D defeciency can be pretty serious. My level was low, but not super low. I had many many problems from it. I had convinced myself that I had MS. I was extremely tired, all the time. I was extremely weak. Muscles hurt. I was off balance. Couldn't walk right. Could barely walk up steps. Finally after several months of going to different Docs, one told me it was my Vitamin D. He told me to take 2000iu a day, and that I would be better in about a month. He was right!! I'm all better now. Never thought Vitamin D defenciency could cause so many problems.

Anonymous (reply to Ulala37)

Just seeing this and you are a carbon copy of me!!! I have been scared to death I had ms. I had numbness and tingling sore joints very light but sporadic incontinence at times. My vitamin d was 16!!! I've been told it can mimic ms too. So glad im not the only one experiencing it. I'm on another 8 weeks of the high dose vit d because after finishing the first round the symptoms seemed to reappear..

Butterflynora (reply to Ulala37)

the same thing happened to me and my levels were extremely low, My doctor put me on 50,000iu twice a week but they made me sick so she changed it to 2,000 daily. I can't explain how much better I feel. I had been feeling bad for almost 6 months and was afraid that it was something worst and didn't go to the doctor because of fear until I started to feel depressed. Its been two months now and I don't go one day without my D3 pills

Anonymous (reply to Ulala37)

OMG! I feel the same way. I'm in pain all the time, my body aches, muscles, joints. I don't even leave my house anymore on weekends because I feel tired all the time. My aunt told me she went to the doctor with pretty much the same complaints and blood tests confirmed she was low on Vitamin D. I just got off a natural herbs and supplements website ordering Organic Multi Vita-Min. I'm willing to try it and was just wondering how long it will take before I see it working, and that's how I saw your comment. I'm very hopeful, I can't continue living this way. It is not a good way to live.

Anonymous

I think is candida I had ringing ears chest pains sinusitis pain in muscles,brain fog anxiety, fatigue, all from candida which can be caused by antibiotics, diet high in sugar, i got better on anticandida diet

What's your favorite veggie? :