Skin, Hair & Nails

Skin, Hair & Nails Guide

ask: How long before going outside should I apply sunscreen?

By Jenny Housh HERWriter Guide

I heard that you should apply sunscreen a little while before going out in the sun. How long before going outside should I apply the SPF? What if I apply it while i'm outside, does this affect the protection?

Hi Jenny

For full and instant coverage when you step outside, apply indoors twenty minutes before you head out. 

If you apply outside, then you are not fully protected for about 15-20 minutes. This is not necessarily a bad thing since a little sun is good for us but for total protection, twenty minutes before exposure is a good rule to go by. 

When going out in the sun, what SPF do you put on?: