how to lose weight gained after gallbladder removal

By Anonymous December 10, 2014 - 8:07pm

i had my 3rd child this year (2014) in may and had to have my gallbladder removed in may. I lost 26 lbs after giving birth and gained back 30 after my surgery. I want to lose that weight again but it seems to be harder now. no matter how well i eat or how active i am i cannot seem to shed those pounds. HELP!! i need advice

Thanks for your post and I'm sorry you're dealing with post-surgical weight gain. 

Post gall bladder weight gain is really common and is very frustrating for patients. 

It's though to be caused by your body's changing way of processing fats now that it doesn't have a gall bladder. Now that fats can't be processed in your gall bladder, it's done in the small intestines and this can take the body some time to get used to and process more efficiently. 

Medications taken can also cause the weight gain. 

It's difficult to move around after surgery.  Inactivity is also a factor in weight gain and the stomach is generally bloated for some time post-surgery. 

Once you have recovered, take as much exercise as you can. I know that's hard with a new baby and other children but have your partner take over while you exercise. Cardio and weights are a good idea. 

Make sure your diet is low -fat so your body isn't overwhelmed.  If you can, talk to a dietitian who understands post gall bladder surgery weight gain. 

Remember, the weight will come off, it just takes time. 

Have you taken a look at our very detailed thread concerning this topic? You'll read about the experiences of others, including what has and hasn't worked. Take a look here: