How often should I get my teeth cleaned by the dentist?

By July 23, 2014 - 8:36am

I have a regular dentist I visit, but sometimes I'm bad about setting up appointments to get my teeth cleaned. I'm pretty good about brushing and flossing my teeth though. Should I visit the dentist more than once a year? How often do I need a teeth cleaning at the dentist?

Hi Lindsay

Most dentists advice a cleaning and checkup twice a year (every 6 months). I follow this advice but many people go once a year and are fine. I have good dental insurance so this helped in my decision making! 

A good cleaning is also an examination of the teeth to look for problems or potential problems with your oral health. It also helps to give your teeth as thorough cleaning as possible. 

Since you practice good dental hygiene as it is, once a year might be just fine for you but if you have dental insurance that will cover you every 6 months, that is certainly better. 

Read more in our Dental/Oral Health section here:

Has this helped, Lindsay?

Dental & Oral Health

Dental & Oral Health Guide