How to put on weight?

By October 16, 2016 - 8:43pm

I recently just turned 23, I'm 5 ft 8, and weigh about 136 lbs. However my ideal weight would be around 145 or a little higher. I find that recently I've been losing weight, and having problems maintaining or staying at the same weight. I'm currently studying away from home, and I have to walk and catch the bus a lot more here, in comparison to when I'm at home where I just drive everywhere. Plus due to stress or studying/schoolwork, sometimes I don't eat very regularly and I'm prone to losing my appetite when I'm upset about something or missing home. I rarely eat breakfast as I don't have much appetite in the morning, but I try to have at least two meals during the day, and some snacks in between. However, I feel like I'm just too skinny,and people make comments, making me feel even worse. I feel like I've lost my curves. I also go to the gym 2/3 times a week and I've stopped doing cardio there, just focusing on weight lifting as I fear that maybe I may burn too many calories.

I've recently tried making shakes with milk, bananas, oats, chocolate etc that are heavy to add more calories to my diet, and I'm trying to carry more snacks with me to eat, like Chex mix, chocolate, chips etc. not the healthiest options, but I really just want to put on weight. Most people want to lose it haha but I'd do anything to gain weight and stay a little curvier.

Any tips for how to increase my appetite, and how to put on weight in general? I would like to gain it healthily, but any tricks I'd gladly appreciate.

Thanks!

Hi RK

It's fine to eat more if you feel you'd like to put on more weight. Use healthy fats like those found in nuts and avocados.

You said you don't really eat too much so eating more may help. Eat peanut butter if you like it and plenty of fish. Cook with coconut oil and olive oil. Adding one extra meal every day will help.

Also remember you are young with probably a high metabolism. When I was your age I was about 128 pounds and I'm 5'7". When I got married at age 32 I was only 135 lbs. I wish I were that now! Being young often means being leaner - you are not at an unhealthy weight.

Diet & Nutrition

Diet & Nutrition Guide