i am almost 55 years and have never been on a diet. i need one now. what do i do?

By May 27, 2010 - 9:50pm

i don't know how to diet, especially now that i am 55 years old. never been on a diet before. my physical well-being will not allow my body to a lot of heavy exercises,either! what to do!

Hi dwfranklin!

Welcome to Empowher!

Well done on making the first move to change your body and mind!

I assume you are feeling out of shape with possible weight gain?

The first thing to do is have yourself a health physical and tell your doctor that you are planning to change your life for good. Not in a "I'm going on a diet" kind of way because that implies that it's a temporary thing that will change once you lose the weight. Make sure you are healthy enough to make these changes.

For diet - that comes down to a choice. Do you want a fad diet like Atkins, Jenny Craig kind of thing? Or do you simply want to change how you live your life?

I am not a fan of any kind of fad diet. I don't believe they work in any sense in the long run and they are not made to work in the long run. But that's just my personal opinion. If there are no underlying conditions to cause weight gain, then you just need to adopt a much healthier diet, rich in fruits and veggies and whole foods and well as lean proteins. To learn more you can visit with a nutritionist or even go to a place like Whole Foods where they have free (or at a very minimal cost) training seminars and cooking classes to teach us how to eat healthfully. You can also take classes at a very low cost through community education. Stop buying pre-packaged salty foods and eat fresh fresh fresh! You should also eat locally produced foods as much as you can as well as organic.

Pick up some books at your local library - your librarian can help you find good books about nutrition.

For exercise, you don't need weights if you are not in a position to use them. You can try low impact workouts like swimming (a personal favorite of mine) where you can also implement resistance training by using easy pool tools called noodles. Most community centers offer low-fee classes using these tools and aerobics and they are effective and perfect for people looking for low impact, non weight training exercises. You'll probably make a friend or two on the way.

You can also try one of the best exercises - good old fashioned walking! Start slowly and gradually build yourself up to a brisk pace for a longer time. You may also do this indoors using an elliptical or treadmill.

Here's an inspirational story for you from one of our members: http://www.empowher.com/community/share/changing-my-mindset-towards-healthy-eating-and-exercise-one-day-time

Please check out our Wellness page for Heath and Fitness, you'll get tons of information, tips, short videos and stories from other women here: http://www.empowher.com/wellness/fitness/news?page=8

Remember, changing your life like this takes time. Don't expect huge changes quickly (and please stay away from diet pills!). In fact, slow and steady progress is a great way to go and results are more likely to be lifelong.

You can do this dwfranklin and we're here to support you! You have made a big first step so congratulations on that! Tell me what you think of all the information you've received. Does it help?

Weight Loss