I have been on bioidentical hormone therapy for 1yr. last month i strated bleeding and havent stopped. The doctor I'm working with seems to worry more about his plastic surgery practice then my bleeding problems. I take 200 mg progesterone every night.

By October 27, 2011 - 4:44pm

So much to say, but I had great luck with compounded progesterones---although they are expensive because of the compounding---but especially in that form,progesterone has a very sedating and soothing action---I actually could go off one blood pressure medication because the vasodilating qualities of the progesterone made my bp go down. We are still experimenting with a number of possible delivery methods because I am still having hot flashes which make me extremely sick and unable to function. It really takes a doctor who is a hormone expert and who is willing to listen to you and work with you

Why is a plastic surgeon working with you on bioidentical hormones. You don't say how old you are. I suppose the bleeding depends a lot on your age and if you have gone through menopause and why you are taking hormones. Are you only taking 200 mg progesterone and that is it? I won't go into my whole story, but I am now working with an m.d. who is a hormone specialist and is trained in naturopathic medicine and sees the whole person. I would think you need to talk to a different doctor besides a plastic surgeon. Or maybe I am not understand the whole story.

(reply to AlettaS)

I am 52, been completely through memopause for five years. There are two docs in this group and this certain doc was/is a plastic surgeon. I am using the pellets. I had an insertion last week and told the nurse of my bleeding. The doc came in and did the insertion. I asked him about the bleeding and he said "oh it's an estrogen thing" but he didn't offer any other ideas. I went to my obgyn who does not do the pellets and his advise was to take 200 mg progesterone for 12 days each month. will have a normal period as if I were on the pill. he also said if the bleeding does not subside he wants to give me synthetic estrogen (which I've never been able to take) to balance me out--it defeats the purpose of trying to go natural. I live in Cincinnati ohio and we have three HRC places here. I wonder if I should switch.

(reply to Beclynn)

Hi Beclynn,

Very often, when a woman has just been started on HRT or in your case, Bioidentical hormones, bleeding can be common. However, it is important that your doctor rules out any possibilities. If you had just started bioidentical hormones, then this is likely the reason why your doctor simply said "It's an Estrogen thing". However, now that you have gone to your second doctor who prescribed Progesterone, please make sure you provide this information with the surgeon who does your insertions.

While bleeding is most commonly related to the shifting in hormones, if you truly feel like you would like further testing to rule-out hyperplasia of the uterus, you are your own advocate and you can certainly ask for further testing to be done.

Here's a list of our menopause groups-- browse through them you may find one of more of them to be helpful: http://www.empowher.com/condition/menopause/groups

Good Luck,

Menopause Guide