I have been told that I need a "D & C" because the lining of my uterus is a "9" when it

By November 1, 2011 - 9:08am

should be a 5 and below. I have been taking HRT and perhaps too much estrogen. I have had "periods". I am now lowering the dosage of estrogen (at peril of more and unbearable hot flashes) and I want to wait to see if the bleeding stops. Is a D & C necessary?

Hi Dee

I'm sorry you are in so much discomfort. How old are you - are you entering or in Menopause, hence the HRT?

A D&C is generally done for the following reasons:

A D&C is usually done to determine what condition is causing abnormal bleeding. Some conditions that may cause abnormal bleeding are: ◦Miscarriage
◦Irregularities in menstrual bleeding
◦Endometrial polyps
◦Abnormal endometrial thickening
◦Endometrial cancer

■Sometimes a D&C is done to stop the bleeding, rather than to diagnose why you are bleeding. This is sometimes done after a miscarriage or after a delivery when all of the placenta did not come out like it was supposed to.

You can read a lot more on our D&C page here: http://www.empowher.com/media/reference/dilation-and-curettage

It's up to you whether you want to give the lowered estrogen treatments a chance to work and see less bleeding. I think your doctors are trying to end this misery for you as soon as possible but the decision is ultimately yours. If you do want to wait and see what happens in the next few months, then that is your choice. Ask you doctors if they think there could be a problem by waiting and then do what you think is best for you but take their advice into account.

I hope this ends for you soon - please stay in touch with us,

Thank you so much for your intelligent answer. I am post menopausal and taking hormone replacement. I think my estrogen level was too high and that caused the bleeding. I am not bleeding presently and I would like to try lower estrogen for at least a month, but I don't know at what risk. The procedure is for thick lining of the uterus. If I were to stop the HRT, I would just get the D&C now. I want to continue the HRT so I'm wondering if this procedure will be called for again. I'm thinking I should just go ahead, but I don't like to be the woman that just blindly obeys doctors and receives uncalled for procedures. The "periods" don't make me unhappy. I just don't want to think of them as a precursor to trouble. Again, thanks for helping. Dee

HERWriter Guide (reply to Dee Schwab)

Hi Dee

Thanks for the update. I can see where you stand (and both sides of the "argument".) You're kind of against a rock and a hard place - stop the HRT and get the awful symptoms back but benefit from a D&C - or continue as is with all this bleeding and possibly ultimately need to D&C and wish you had done it earlier.

By going with your doctors advice after careful consideration, you are certainly not being a sheep. Doctors do give some pretty good advice. But-importantly- the choice is down to you and you seem to know the risks and benefits so it sounds like you're ready to make a decision.

Let me know what you decide. Either way, we're here for support!

I am so happy I found this site. I love having "sisters-in-life" offer help!
I don't know how to go into the site to offer info for the lady that thinks she's in perimenopause, but I just heard that "The View" is having professionals talk about this on Monday. (Barbara Walter's daughter is thinking she's approaching peri.) It may help her. Worth checking into.

Menopause Guide