I have had a period for 2 weeks now and I am 48 years of age. Is this a concern? I have never experienced anything like this before. Maybe approaching menopause? What should I be doing

By Anonymous March 21, 2016 - 8:39am

Welcome to EmpowHER. I am glad to reached out to us with your concern.

It is possible that this is a sign of early perimenopause. Some women will begin to experience the fluctuation in estrogen levels as early as their late 40s. The ups and downs in hormone levels cause the menstrual cycle to lengthen or shorten.

However, if this pattern of a period lasting two weeks continues, please contact your gynecologist. Prolonged bleeding can lead to iron deficiency anemia. You want to be one
step ahead of this. And you want to be sure there is not another cause of a prolonged period.

This article, "Reasons for a Two-Week-Long Period" explore causes.

Anonymous, you may find helpful information on our Perimenopause page.

Keep in touch,

Perimenopause Guide