I have a pregnancy-stress related question.

Okay here's the details. We've been trying to get pregnant for a few months now, and have had some close calls but all were negative. The 8th of this month, also my birthday, my mother in law passed. In the 9th I began to experience this thick brown lumpy discharge. Then later on that day I bled some, but by the time I checked again the next day it was gone. Then today. I had sex, went to the bathroom, nothing's there. About an hour later I had to pee, so I go per and low and behold there's blood again, but when I wipe it's very very light. I've been very stressed since my second momma passed and we've been trying so hard to have a baby. I don't know what's going on. My period isn't due for another two weeks and I had two periods in July and none in June. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Concerned and Confused

Thanks for writing to EmpowHER!

Firstly, I'm very sorry for your loss. I hope you and your husband are coping ok.

Stress can really affect the menstrual cycle so a death and stress about getting pregnant aren't good. From what you said, it seems like you are irregular as it is (no June period, two July periods - unless you had a period right at the start of July and then at the end - this is considered normal).

We can't say what this discharge is other than is possibly be caused by hormonal fluctuations. These fluctuation can be biological or stress related. There is also the possibility that this could be implantation bleeding which is very light (drops) and often light pink or light brown.

My advice to you is to try to destress about pregnancy. Your body may rebel if you can't find a way to relax and let nature take it's course. I know this is hard but try to meditate, take yoga, long walks and get lots of sleep. You need this.

It can take a healthy couple up to a year to get pregnant. If this kind of lumpy brown discharge keeps happening and you remain irregular, talk to your doctor after 6 months of trying.

We wish you the best and hope you get good news soon.