I was taking Enbrel for psoriatic arthritis; I deloped breast cancer and the treatment was stopped. My arthritis after more than 4 years is returning with a vengence. Is going back on Enbrel a viable option? Its at the "quality of life" state. Thank you.

As a breast cancer survivor, I, too, have psoriatic arthritis. There are good days and bad days. I am now 11 years out, and I have discovered the most pain I have is in range of motion and post-radiation burn scars under my left arm. I think long term survivors have much to contribute about quality of life issues years after the cancer treatment. I have never taken Enbrel -- cannot afford it -- but I do get some relief with generic Celebrix.

Thank you for your post and welcome!Congratulations on surviving cancer!

We cannot advise anyone to stop or start medication, this is something you need to decide, with guidance from your doctor.

However, there have been concerns with medications like your causing certain cancers although newer meds like Enbrel appear safe.

Here is a very interesting news release that pertains to your question: http://arthritis.about.com/od/rheumatoidarthritis/a/breastcancer.htm

It's a good idea to talk to your doctor (and get a second opinion if necessary) about the benefits and risks.

Good luck to you, I'm sorry you are in so much pain and I hope you can get back to feeling better soon.

Hello Susan,
Thank you for your response ... everyone's input helps me to make a decision I can live with, which is good, for the final decision is ultimately up to me. Since Enbrel is an immuno-suppressant, the doctors are running many tests and should I decide to take the medicine my immune system must be strong. Still, its a tough decision to make even though getting rid of the pain, joint damage and psoraisis will be a blessing -- your kind words are so much appreciated, Susan ...

Arthritis Guide