I'm in a bad relationship, how do I leave?

I am unhappy in my relationship and would like to get out. How can I do this with the least amount of hurt (to myself and for my significant other)?

Hi Lauren

Thanks for this question and I'm sorry you're in this situation. 

You don't say what is bad about your relationship so I do not know if there could be a bad or dangerous reaction from your partner, what his temperament is or any of your history. 

Don't stay in a happy relationship if you don't want to try to work things out (talk/therapy) - not all relationships need therapy; sometimes you are simply not a good match and that's ok. 

My advice is to meet at a neutral place - maybe a park (don't do a restaurant or coffee shop, people can overhear and if you leave once you break up, that could be embarrassing to him.)

You don't need to give him a list of reasons if you know it's over. Tell him the truth but limit your chat. Everyone knows when they are being played (it's not you, it's me!) and tell him you no longer feel the same way about things. Talk about your issues with things, not his - that's his job. Don't speak for him or tell him what he did wrong. 

Tell him you wish him the very best but that the relationship doesn't have a future. It's ok to say you are sorry - you probably are, in a way. If you want to be friends, say so (it can work for former ex's) but don't say you'll call or be in touch if you don't plan to. Wish him well. 

Don't break up in your home or is - an open area is best. 

Let us know how it goes, ok?

Relationships & Family

Relationships & Family Guide