im a sicklin patient,last 1 month my periods r going on means blood not stopped yet

By March 30, 2010 - 6:01am

what is the the primary teratment of sikcklin please sugggest me early its urgent if there is parmanent treatment please informe me and special doctors also in odisha.

You can read all about treatments here: http://www.empowher.com/condition/sickle-cell-anemia/treatments

Let me know if it helps!

Thank you for your reply. As there is no cure for sickle cell anemia, there are many things you can do to help prevent long term complication from your disease. Here is a link to the Mayo Clinic about sickle cell anemia which also includes lifestyle changes that you should read that will help with what to avoid to help with managing your anemia. Click here to read more information http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/sickle-cell-anemia/DS00324/DSECTION=lifestyle-and-home-remedies.

You should always consult your physician before starting any exercise regime. Especially if you are experiencing high blood pressure. I found an article from the US Department of Health and Human Services which states that pulmonary hypertension (high blood pressure) is common in sickle cell patients and should not be taken lightly. Specifically, the article indicates that people with sickle cell disease, the blood vessels that supply the lungs narrow and their walls thicken, so they can’t carry as much blood. Like a kinked garden hose, pressure builds up and backs up. The heart works harder, trying to force the blood through. If the pressure is high enough, eventually the heart can’t keep up, and is unable to pump enough blood through the lungs to pick up adequate amounts of oxygen. Patients become tired, dizzy and short of breath. When an underlying cause can’t be found, the condition is called primary pulmonary hypertension. When a pre-existing disease such as sickle cell triggers high blood pressure in the lungs, doctors call it secondary pulmonary hypertension because it is secondary to another problem.

Follow up with your physician is necessary for advice about weight loss and exercise due to your pre-existing sickle cell. With your physician's help, they will closely monitor your weight, your food intake and your blood pressure. Could you kindly keep us updated?

Hi mrinal

Thank you for your question and welcome!

It's concerning that you have been bleeding for a full month. This may not be your period - it may be internal bleeding from your uterus or other part of your reproductive system. Please see a health care provider as soon as possible.

Can you answer some questions for me?

Are you in pain?
Has this ever happened before?
When you say you are sick, can you list your symptoms for us?

In the meantime, please make an appointment; this may not be a really long period, so getting checked out as soon as possible is important. Consider an iron supplement too, as you may be very low in iron.

Can you please update us?

1.yes i have very hardly pen in my foot and my bhoth arm side..
2.no.because my has early started

I am not understanding your answer - can you give you answers in a different way and with lots of details? I cannot understand what you mean.

Thanks for rplying me.now i m suffering from health gaining problem my weight is growing up.can u suggest me some exersice as i m a BP patient also.Do u know something about SICKLIN patent.All this problem is because of that only.My eye site is also decressing,when i going to study i feel heavy in head and pain allot in eyes.rply me soon

(reply to mrinal)

By SICKLIN, do you mean sickle-cell anemia Or something else?

How long have you had high blood pressure, and are you on medication for it?

How old are you, Mrinal? Do you exercise and eat a healthy diet? Are you under the care of a doctor?

(reply to Diane Porter)

yea miz Diane i m talking about sickle-cell anemia thnks for rply mee.my age is 22 years,and from last 2 year i had high blood pressure.yea i m taking help of doctors.but my health is not improving.my wait is still gaining.noo i m scared to do exersice if i run a little bit my head pain allot.my medicines r also going on but can u help me more about sickle pateint hw it can cure???

HERWriter Guide (reply to mrinal)

Hi mrinal

Thanks for the clarification on sick (thanks Diane!) meaning sickle cell anemia. That's very helpful.

Sickle Cell Anemia it's a genetic condition and as of yet there is no cure, I'm afraid.

Here is some information :

Sickle cell anemia is a group of genetic disorders that changes the composition of red blood cells. The genetic defect affects hemoglobin, which carries oxygen throughout the body.

Red blood cells are normally soft and round and move easily through the blood vessels. People with sickle cell anemia have an abnormal type of hemoglobin (hemoglobin S), which causes the red blood cells to become hard and sickle-shaped. Because of their odd shape, some of the "sickled" cells get stuck in the small blood vessels. There they break apart, causing blockages in the vessels. If the blockage occurs in a blood vessel that leads to a major organ, the decreased blood flow can cause severe pain and organ damage.

The body recognizes that sickled cells are abnormal and destroys them faster than they can be replaced. This causes anemia, or a shortage of red blood cells, especially under the following conditions:

Drop in oxygen or change in air pressure (sometimes occurs during airplane travel)

Risk Factors
A risk factor is something that increases your chance of getting a disease or condition.

Risk factors for sickle cell anemia include:

Genetics: Children who inherit copies of the defective gene from both parents will have sickle cell anemia. Children who inherit only one copy of the gene will not have sickle cell disease, but will carry the trait.
Race: Blacks of sub-Saharan origin
Ethnicity: Greeks, Italians, and people from some parts of India, Central and South America, and the Arabian Peninsula

Sickle cell anemia produces a group of symptoms known as a sickle cell crisis. These are episodes of pain that occur with varying frequency and severity, and are usually followed by periods of remission. The risk for a sickle cell crisis increases with any activity that boosts the body's requirement for oxygen, such as illness, physical stress, or high altitudes.

These painful crises can last hours to days. They affect the bones of the back, the long bones, and the chest. The crises can be severe enough to require hospital admission for pain control and intravenous fluids.

Symptoms of impending sickle cell crisis include:

Pain and swelling in the hands and feet
Chest pain, or episodic pain in joints, abdomen, or back
Shortness of breath
Abdominal swelling
Unusual or prolonged headache
Any sudden weakness or loss of sensation
Priapism (prolonged erection)
Sudden vision changes
Sudden, severe anemia can cause:
Shortness of breath
Heart failure
Loss of consciousness

Complications of sickle cell anemia include:

Destruction of the spleen
Severe bacterial infections:
Kidney and bone infections
Damage to the joints (especially hip and shoulder)
Damage to eyes, resulting in impaired vision
Stroke or other neurological impairment
Liver disease
High rate of hepatitis C
Damage to penis, due to priapism (may result in impotence )
Leg ulcers
Heart murmurs or enlarged heart
Delayed growth
Delayed sexual development

Please read more - we have a great Sickle Cell Anemia page here : http://www.empowher.com/media/reference/sickle-cell-anemia

mrinal, I see that your symptoms mirror some of those written above and I have some quwtions for you:

How old are you?
When were you diagnosed with Sickle Cell Anemia?
What, if any, treatment are you undergoing? Can you name your medicines for us?
How much have you been told about your condition? Has someone sat and explained everything or given you some books about it?
What country do you live in?

If you would like privacy, please feel free to answer these in a personal message.

I look forward to hearing more from you!

Sickle Cell Anemia

Sickle Cell Anemia Guide