Im srtuggling with bi-polor disorder

By November 1, 2011 - 9:39am

Im 45 years old and have delt with this for most of my life...I hate it I take 1200mg. of Lithim, I work as a homehealh aide, Im married to a alchoholic, I also have alcholism and addictions. I just feel very alone in all this. There is alot more to share but I dont have the time right now. Thankyou for any feedback.

Hi cupcake

Thanks for your post and I'm sorry you are dealing with so much.

Bipolar Disorder is really hard to live with, even with treatment, so to have addictions and live with an addict is going to compound everything even more.

If you continue to live with an active addict, your chances of getting better are slim. Also, an active addict should not be working as a home health aid - you could injure your patients. I know this will sound harsh, but if I knew my loved one was being cares for by an addict, there would be a heavy price paid. You do not have a right to do this - you are endangering others, even if you think you're ok.

cupcake, you need to get into treatment, full-time, or you will never get better. Is there anyway you can get into live- in rehab? If you are under the care of a doctor, please be honest and ask for help. See if live-in rehab can be arranged. Do you have insurance? If not, there may still be programs out there for you and live-in sounds like something you need. It's also keep you from living with an active addict. You cannot live with your husband anymore - certainly not if he isn't sober. A sober living house would give you the support and accountability you need.

I know you probably worry about losing your job but could it be any worse if you did? You have to get your own life back.

I think you are being very brave for looking for help. Please do so by contacting your doctor or clinic and start the process. See if you can live with family or other sober friends. I know you feel alone and I know that addiction can be one of the loneliest roads to walk. You have to reach out and get so that you can get back on track. But no-one can make that decision but you.

Please do this today and let us know how it goes. We'll be here for you for guidance and support anytime you need us. We also have an Addiction Support Group that I encourage you to join: http://www.empowher.com/groups/addiction

Please update us as soon as you can!

Bipolar Disorder

Bipolar Disorder Guide