ingrown hairs

By Anonymous December 27, 2011 - 12:11pm

I have ingrown hairs in my bacini and all over my legs, they swell get inflamed then i have to get them out they hurt

Hi All

One way to prevent ingrown hairs is to find out what's causing them and prevent that.

Women tend to get ingrown hairs from shaving or waxing. Using a rich, thick hair conditioner (like Dove) to shave (as opposed to shave gels or anything else) is much kinder to the skin, and very regular loofa use on shaved areas also helps. Loofa in these places at least every other day.

Some women find that hair removal creams like Veet or Nair are easier on their skin and help prevent in-grown hairs.

Never do a cold shave. Make sure your skin has been exposed to warm water for several minutes before shaving and shave in the direction of the hair growth, although this can cause some hair to be left behind. If this happens, try shaving from the side but never shave in the opposite direction of the hair.

Using a product after shaving like Bikini Zone can also help. Other women use baby powder, diaper creams (yes!) or witch hazel to sooth the skin and prevent ingrown hairs. 

If you are prone to ingrown hairs, you may ultimately need laser hair removal but remember that women prone to ingrown hairs can get bumps too with laser hair removal but it's temporary. Laser hair removal is expensive though and it's not 100% effective but will remove up to 90% of unwanted hair for several years although some "top up" sessions may then be needed.

I hope this "tricks" help you, ingrown hairs are very painful and can become infected and even leave scars.

Good luck, ladies!

I have the same problem, so I think I'd ask, how to avoid that, or prevent it altogether?

Welcome to EmpowHER. Is there a question you would like to ask.