Is it bad to eat late at night?

By July 12, 2014 - 10:21am

I have a bad habit of eating dinner or snacking late at night. Especially when I'm having busy days, it's difficult to fit dinner in at a normal time. Is it true that eating late can cause weight gain? Why is it bad to eat at later hours?

Hi sara

Some studies have shown that it doesn't matter when you eat - a calorie is a calorie. 

Some cultures eat later at night but observe that their portions are quite small and they eat healthy snacks during the day. 

But I stand by my (self) proven conviction that eating late at night does contribute to weight gain and here is why-

People don't tend to take out the pots and pans and cook from scratch late at night. They tend to look in the pantry or freezer for something convenient and this tends to be processed foods. 

We're tired at the end of the day - we tend to care less about what we are eating and more that it tastes good and fills us. 

Eating at night affects sleep. Our bodies spend the night digesting all that food instead of repairing and then resting so we wake up less refreshed. Lack of sleep or bad sleep is linked to weight gain. 

Here is my article about this exact topic and my opinion? No eating (including snacks!) after 8pm!

Let me know what you think! 

Diet & Nutrition

Diet & Nutrition Guide