Is it common to miss a period at age 43?

I've missed a period this month. Kind of freaked out & took 10 hpt, so really don't think that's the cause. Just concerned as to what is going on & if it's normal.

Just wanted to update.... I was exactly 4 weeks late for my period & it finally came again. I was completely freaked out b/c at 43 years old, I had NEVER missed a period except when I was pregnant. I guess it is just hard to wrap my mind around the fact that I'm getting older :). Anyway- I really appreciate your knowledge at a time when I was panicking. :)

HERWriter Guide (reply to 1972mom)

Hi again!

Good to know it's here!

Welcome to your 40s!

Thank you. I'm just stressing out because I've never missed a period except when pregnant, but in the past, my hpt would have shown up positive by now & usually I would have preg symptoms by now. I took another test yesterday, July 26, still negative. So now I've taken 11. Hoping this is just caused by being 43!

Hi 1972mom

Thanks for reaching out to EmpowHER with your question!

10 negative pregnancy tests are probably enough to reassure you that you're not pregnant!

Peri-menopause can start as early as mid 30s to the 50s. One of the first signs is a cycle that is becoming more irregular so this may be what's going on with you.

You can read all about peri-menopause here: http://www.empowher.com/condition/perimenopause

If you skip next months too, however, talk to your doctor about other possibilities as to why this is happening.

And yes... All 10 tests were negative.

Perimenopause Guide