ask: Is it true that smoking less than 6 cigarettes a day is reasonably safe?

By Bargain Lover January 24, 2009 - 1:12pm

Someone told me that the likelihood of getting a disease from smoking is small, if you smoke less than 6 per day. This seems a little odd since smoking is so addictive that a person may end up smoking a pack a day! But obviously, if one is to smoke, they would be better off smoking just a little.

Are there any studies out there to show that smoking a half a dozen cigarettes per day or less doesn't cause the usual conditions (cancer, stroke etc) that smoking many daily cigarettes per day?

I'm 65 & have been smoking since I was 15 yrs old. I made my own & smoked about a pack a day (more in the past), but for over a yr I've had problems w/my legs & found out it was peripheral artery disease. My arteries are blocked & I'm having a hard time walking w/o pain. For the 1st time in my life, I'm trying to quit smoking. I tried the patch & it worked for 2 wks, but it was a constant struggle. 3 days ago, I got acupuncture. Since then, I've had 1-2 a day. It's SO frick'n hard!!! I have a very strong support system (Mom, kids, grandkids, siblings) but damn, it's hard!!!

Common you can do it,, I thrrw my pack yesterday and did'nt smoke since

Congratulations! Have you gotten your 24 Hour coin?

Keep going! It will be so worth it, think of the extra life and time with your family you have already gained! :)

i must quit too..already not smoked snce last 3 hours n feeling dazed

from my own experience.. 6 is on the lower limit of starting to feel it impact your health. that said.. it is also on the lower limit of smoking habit.. any less and you might just quit.. it is easier not to smoke at all than to smoke 2-4 a day.. an occasional cig (social or whatever) just doesnt feel right.. this tempo however might help those that want to quit, and after a day or two without a cig feel like they are going to pass out cause of low blood sugar and low blood pressure..

Any addiction, cigs, alcohol, pills, etc, makes you a prisioner.
We are the pilots of our own, we can do whatever we want with
our bodies. Is our final option. Period. May we have the best
days in our life. Whatever makes us happy.

After I've read all these comments, i think that i', going to quit smoking for ever guy, i know it's not that easy, but by a way or another i'm going to do so ... I don't feel healthy like i was before, my body powers is going down day by day, f..k it - No More cig

I am amazed how you guys back smoking! First of all, I didn't quit because I was afraid of dying early, I quit because I wanted to live healthy until I die. Everyone is going to die, it's no wisdom, it's the truth. You need not to keep saying it over and over. The thing is how you are gonna live your life until you die. Let's assume smoking does not cause death, even then, there are plenty of reasons to quit smoking. I really hate that way my mouth stinks after a cigarette. Now a days, when a smoker speaks up to my face, I realize that's how it must have smelled when i spoke to others when i used to smoke. That horrible smell, you will get it even if you smoke 3/day. If you don't believe me, ask the person whom you kiss! Shortness of breath! Goodness me, I am a much better swimmer than I was a year ago. Because I could hold breath for a long time and my lungs are doing wonders these days. Your lips and skin! Maybe you could be a person who smokes just two/day. Trust me, Your skin and lips would look far better if you threw off the two. Smoking made me tired! It was enthusiastic to smoke. But after a few minutes of a cigarette, I realized I felt weak and tired. Now I feel energized all day! I could tell the wonder story all day. Don't be fooled when people say, 'light smoking is alright'. There is no such thing. Every single pack, every single cigarette, every single puff are bad for you. We all are going to die one day, but let's live the life to the fullest until that day. Smoking surely is not a way to live your life to the fullest, the habit won't allow you to live.

Some people say you still get lung cancer is that true cause I want to quit

Have you ever participated in a clinical trial?: