Is it true that smoking less than 6 cigarettes a day is reasonably safe?

By Bargain Lover January 24, 2009 - 1:12pm

Someone told me that the likelihood of getting a disease from smoking is small, if you smoke less than 6 per day. This seems a little odd since smoking is so addictive that a person may end up smoking a pack a day! But obviously, if one is to smoke, they would be better off smoking just a little.

Are there any studies out there to show that smoking a half a dozen cigarettes per day or less doesn't cause the usual conditions (cancer, stroke etc) that smoking many daily cigarettes per day?

Anonymous

I smoke one cigarette per day maximum 2... usually pine lights, dunhill or marlboro but never more than one... i actually wanted to know the hazards so i am reading this forum... so reading all the comments, i guess i wont get addicted by this habit?

Susan Cody HERWriter Guide (reply to Anonymous)

I think the only way to know if you're addicted is to stop altogether and see how it goes!

Anonymous

I used Chantix. It's not that bad... I will on occasion smoke a cigarette when I go out... but that's it. I can go all week without it no problem... the chantix helps but it's also all in your mind... all depends on how much it means to you to quit.

Anonymous

I'm 65 & have been smoking since I was 15 yrs old. I made my own & smoked about a pack a day (more in the past), but for over a yr I've had problems w/my legs & found out it was peripheral artery disease. My arteries are blocked & I'm having a hard time walking w/o pain. For the 1st time in my life, I'm trying to quit smoking. I tried the patch & it worked for 2 wks, but it was a constant struggle. 3 days ago, I got acupuncture. Since then, I've had 1-2 a day. It's SO frick'n hard!!! I have a very strong support system (Mom, kids, grandkids, siblings) but damn, it's hard!!!

Have you tried using an ecigarette? I found it made it MUCH easier to quit.

Common you can do it,, I thrrw my pack yesterday and did'nt smoke since

Congratulations! Have you gotten your 24 Hour coin?

Keep going! It will be so worth it, think of the extra life and time with your family you have already gained! :)

Anonymous

nice

i must quit too..already not smoked snce last 3 hours n feeling dazed

Anonymous

from my own experience.. 6 is on the lower limit of starting to feel it impact your health. that said.. it is also on the lower limit of smoking habit.. any less and you might just quit.. it is easier not to smoke at all than to smoke 2-4 a day.. an occasional cig (social or whatever) just doesnt feel right.. this tempo however might help those that want to quit, and after a day or two without a cig feel like they are going to pass out cause of low blood sugar and low blood pressure..