Mammogram vs breast exam: regarding my wife who works, amazingly, at a health insurance company!

When there's questionable or half-hearted insurance coverage for employees, most folks incorrectly blame the carrier (Cigna, BC/BS, et al). Actually, as you know, this is the makings and doing of the employer who, being men, often cut back on women's health preventative care. That's a 'duh' statement.

I'm sharing a video with you guys...this person was famous in the olympics, though I was a little kid. She's almost exactly the same age as my wife Renae and I do a lot of research on heart health because she's got a lot of trouble in the female side of her family. This famous olympian and my wife converge with me because heart health and heart disease, like many aspects of womens' health, are completely overlooked and ignored.

One of my gripes, see, about womens' health is that, say, if men decide to pour billions into 'health' issues such as erectile dysfunction and meanwhile women get squeezed between American workplace AND traditional nurturers, suffer heart disease WAY more than they did in the 1960's....

Peggy Fleming has been a spokeslady for refined CoQ10 though I'm not trying to sell it here; she and Renae are in their own leagues as examples of how strikingly beautiful the ladies are of the generation of women who broke out of 'simple homemaker' roles ..all while being too nice to say a word or RECEIVE a word about how hard their pioneering was on them. If you know who Peggy Fleming is but haven't heard her name in awhile, here's what a lady (b. 1948) with adult children is doing in terms of lighting up the way for the rest of us.
Thanks for allowing my melodrama! site with embedded video;

(eventually people 60+ will know more of heart-health CoQ10 ubiquinol, though I'm not selling it and don't work for Swanson's Health Co---but just LOOK how pretty this 62-yr-old lady is!!!! Does anybody remember her, you guys? Again, I was too young in '68 to have any recollection..) My wife's even prettier. (Commercial link removed by moderator.)

Dear Anon

Thanks for this post; it's one to make us think.

Since your wife works in the field of health insurance, is there anything she can do, from a "grassroots" perspective, to change coverage for women? We'd be interested to know and happy to help her by following her story and sharing tips.

I'll be happy to talk around and your request sure seems reasonable to me. In her position (and heck, in my position at my work), to get anything done you gotta' go 'UP' to top-level management, which automatically is scary. After I read your comment I drafted and sent a note to the head honcho asking for analysis...I own stock in the company my wife works for and I figured that some direction from the CEO would be as good a start as any. It's not like he will holler or fuss--I presented myself just as a stockholder instead of a 'customer service rep's husband' That somehow doesn't have the same impact. I'll share my answers to your questions with you as I get them.

fyi, here's the company I'll work toward providing dialog in meaningful form, namely, awareness first, action second. Allow some time since I got a couple of other 'inside' contacts there (two giant office buildings stuffed full of people-been around awhile), and any info on the mindsets I encounter, I'll pass to you, and just like that, we have us a 'grassroots effort' that flat KNOWS how to put helpful womens' health and advocacy out there on the Internet! - I envision EmpowerHer having a big role there. Two sites for you:
NYSE site for Coventry Health/Magellan Health, StL where Renae works. (Link removed by moderator.)
as well as my own site to see (in pics if nothing else) who really appreciates what EmpowerHer.com is doing. Link to my site is here, I've had an EmpowerHer link on my sidebar, and it's been getting respectable (steady) traffic to your site from this link, so I feel like I'm having a stake in grassroots effort you shared. Thanks for all you do, i/we look forward to working with you, 'open enrollment' for Coventry is in Oct-Nov '10 where we can learn much from, and here's my site to display how amazingly pretty my wife is. We're newlyweds, 2 yrs now (link removed by moderator.)

HERWriter Guide (reply to phil)

Hi Phil - Thanks for returning to the site and sharing your progress. We really appreciate your support of your wife and of EmpowHER.

In terms of health insurance companies, they are mainly interested in bottom line results, like most companies. Insurers and employers who can see hard numbers showing that there is a cost benefit to prevention and screening programs are more likely to put money into them and to offer them to customers/employees. I wish you well in all that you, and your wife, are able to do to support the need for preventive screening coverage for breast and other cancers.

Take care,

Breast Conditions

Breast Conditions Guide