Menapause vaginal dryness and general menaupause questions

By Anonymous December 13, 2011 - 9:53am

Hi there,
I really really hope you can shed some light on my questions.
I am 55 yeras old. at 50 years old I was diagnosed with Stage 4 endometriosis all over my ovaries and cervix.. After trying everything to avoid a hysterectomy, we tried to bay time till natural menapause.. but, alas, it looked like I was going to have a period forever... After unbearable pain each month, I landed in the ER and my doctor finally advised me that I needed to have a hysterectomy... Unfortunatly , like many woman, getting rid of the paid was I only obsession.!! So I did it..

complete hysterectomy... done.
I had no menapause symptoms. no hot flashes, no modd swings.. nothing.
I only recently have started noting a very very dry vagina. I know this is normal. I am a single girl, and the thought of intercourse scares me to death now. ! To the point that I am afraid of the pain that could be, and as a result it has put me into a really sad 'depresssion'.!! I am an outgoing person, full of life, and loved Sex.!1
I am seriously depressed over this, and have lost hope..
I am also starting to have joint pains. (Which I was told indirectly could be another symptom of menapause)....
Needless to say,I have seen a Rheumatologist for my joints, a Gyno for my dryness, etc. etc.. none of whom have been able to help me.!!
Finally someone mentioned Compound Hormone analysis to me.

sorry to go on and on....

Finally my question to you:
Could all of these symptoms above be related simply to HORMONES?? What specific test should I ask for? (no doctors seem to care!!). How do I get a complete Hormone test that will tell me where I'm lacking?
What can I do for my vagina dryness?? Is there really hope that I may feel happier and actually be able to enjoy sex again???

I really would appreciate some direction.
thanks so much for your time and attention.

Tests for menopause are hormonal - and it is generally a lack of estrogen that causes such vaginal dryness.

You can talk to your doctor about estrogen suppositories that are inserted into the vagina. This is a form of HRT but is geared specifically toward vaginal dryness and does not "spread" the extra estrogen throughout the rest of the body - this is if you do want to go on regualar HRT.

Find a doctor who specializes in menopause or demand your doctor pay attention to you; your issues are as important as the next patients, regardless of what they think.

Here is information some options - and some that last for 90 days, called Estradiol - you can read about the benefits and risks here: http://www.empowher.com/media/reference/estradiol

Here is a similar one on

Estradiol and Norethindrone: http://www.empowher.com/media/reference/estradiol-and-norethindrone-0

You can generally use this kind of HRT (there are other brand names or generics)  via a cream, a patch, an insert or pill.

Let me know is this helps you. You certainly should not have to give up your love life for this reason - there ARE options out there that can help you!

Also, a good lubricant can also really help. Check out this info here: http://www.empowher.com/atrophic-vaginitis/content/vaginal-dryness-say-yes-organic-lube

Menopause Guide