ask: Is a miscarriage definite if there is no fetal heartbeat at 6 weeks?

By Awinter

I an approximately 6 weeks pregnant, my LMP was 9 Sep, which was just spotting, the regular flow started 4 days later. Yesterday I had a transvaginal ultrasound with no fetal heartbeat detected. The Dr said the pregnancy was not viable, and a D&C would need to be preformed. However, i have found information on the web that said, that may not be the case. Is there any hope or is it a definite miscarriage?

Pat Elliott HERWriter Guide

Awinter - Thanks for bringing your question to EmpowHER and sharing your situation. I am not sure what you've read on the Internet as the source was not provided. There is a lot of unclear and untrue information online, and a lot of information that is very technical and difficult to understand. I know it's hard at times to understand the information.

Sometimes a regular ultrasound is not able to detect the fetal heartbeat for various reasons. In that case a transvaginal ultrasound may be needed for the patient. You've indicated that you've had a transvaginal ultrasound and your doctor was not able to find the fetal heartbeat. The information you've provided would indicate your doctor is correct and the fetus is not viable. I'm sorry you're going through this and hope this information helps. Hopefully you have friends and family who can assist you in dealing with your loss.
Take care,
Pat

Do you support the idea of a single woman using In Vitro Fertilization to have a baby?: