Moles

Moles Guide

ask: Moles: Is it bad to have a mole rip off?

Ok, here is my situation. I have a mole on the back of my neck which I tend to hit constantly with a brush and this morning I realized I am now bleeding and I could probably just rip it off as it is hanging. It is almost the size of the eraser of a pencil.

Should I just remove it? Should I seek a dermatologist to have it removed? How bad are they really?

Thanks so much for your help.

Anonymous

Rip it off. It might sting or hut but it will not kill you. The only thing you should be aware off is possible skin scaring.

Anonymous

that is nice idvice

I completely agree with Susan. Tempting as it may be--try not to touch it. If you have one of those big bandages that will stick and not fall off I would definitely use that to cover and protect it in the mean time until you can get your dermatologist to cut it off. I am sorry this happened to you and I am sure you will be okay, but reading your story caused a sudden pain to the back of my neck. Good Luck!

Ai, Missy!

That story hurt me just reading it!

Yes, you can have it removed. Since it's in high traffic area (so to speak) and you continue to have trouble with it, a dermatologist can remove it.

I wrote about mole removal before on Empowher, here's an excerpt :

**Mole removal is a fairly simple process that can take place in a clinic or even a doctor's office, depending on the process. It is usually an outpatient procedure.

It can be cut off and then cauterized to stop bleeding, or a few stitches can be administered. Sometimes the mole will be filled with fluid in order to make it easier to remove. A local anesthetic will be administered - the patient will not feel pain.

You will be sent home with an antibiotic cream on the area where the wound is and it will be bandaged. You need to make sure that the entire area is kept clean to prevent infection, and apply more antibiotic cream, as per your doctor's orders.

If you had stitches, you will go back to your doctor to get them removed (if they are not the dissolving ones) within about two weeks of the procedure.

If the mole is suspect, it'll be checked for any cancerous qualities by a lab and you'll get the results back via the doctor's office.

There isn't much pain afterward - the issue of most concern is keeping the wound clean so it can heal properly.

Excess bleeding, other discharge, a bad smell from the wound or a fever should be reported straight away. You'll be given an instruction sheet when you leave the clinic after the procedure.

As to if insurance covers it - it depends on your insurance plan. If it is being removed for cosmetic reasons, it may not be covered. If it is being removed for medical or preventative reasons, it may be more likely to be covered. Your insurance handbook should let you know or you can call the phone number on the back of your insurance card. **

Your doctor may have other ideas on how to cover or protect your mole so that you are not interacting with it so much.

I'm not sure if you should pull the hanging mole off. It may lead to an infection. Can you keep it clean and bandage it up for now and put a call into your doctor first thing in the morning?

I have had mole removel before....Now I have a bigger prob...have one on my waist and it bleeds so much....No insurance, keeps up hospital I go...looks like it is starting to get infected....along pain....

Have you ever been to a dermatologist for a skin and mole screening?: