My 8 year old has not gotten his 6 year molars

My son just turned 8 and his 6 year molars have not come in. My dentist is recommending we see an oral surgeon. We have done Xrays and the molars are there, intact, under the gums. Anyone else ever had to have surgery to allow the molars to come through? I hate to put him through that if we could wait it out. Thanks

I haven't experienced this with my children but I hope someone who has can give you their input. We don't have many resources on EmpowHER for pediatric dentistry.

It sounds like what he has are completely unerupted molars, meaning they are there but seemingly have no plans to surface. They mostly come up at ages 7 or 8.

Is the doctor going to surgically remove the tissue to allow the molars to erupt? If so, make sure you know all the pros and cons and explain to your child in a way that he'll understand but not be scared. Often times it's more frightening for the parent!

You can go on to some sites - reliable sites for pediatric dental surgery and ask for input from parents there or try privately on Facebook if you wish.

We wish your son the best,

Dental & Oral Health

Dental & Oral Health Guide