Is my ankle broken or fractured?

By Anonymous December 9, 2014 - 2:44am

Earlier today I jumped out of a tree and landed on a tree root with my left foot, it rolled and I collapsed immediately. I cannot walk on it without unbearable pain shooting up my leg. There is no swelling, and the pain subsides when I am not on my feet. But walking causes excruciating pain. Do I need an x-ray or to see a doctor? or is it just a sprain?

Welcome to EmpowHER and thank you for asking us for help.

The only way to determine if you fractures or sprained your ankle is to be evaluated by a physician and have an x-ray or MRI of the ankle.

Symptoms of a sprained ankle include pain, especially when you bear weight on the affected foot, swelling and sometimes, bruising, and restricted range of motion. Some people hear or feel a "pop" at the time of injury.

Symptoms of an ankle fracture include immediate and severe pain, swelling, bruising, tenderness when touched, inability to put any weight on the injured foot, and deformity, particularly if there is a dislocation as well as a fracture.

Please do not wait any longer. Go to the emergency room of your local hospital or urgent care center. Call your primary care physician before you go, in case he or she would like to meet you there.

Broken Ankle