My friend is pregnant and her wedding ring is stuck!

By November 5, 2008 - 10:30am

My friend is pregnant, and before she realized it, her wedding ring got stuck on her finger from the swelling going on in her body.

She really doesn't want to have her ring cut off if she can avoid it. She's tried the usual things a person would think to try -- soap, cooking oil, that sort of thing. It will budget a little but it seems like there's no way it's going over the knuckle. Before she got pregnant it was fine.

Has anyone ever had this happen to them? Did you find a solution?

Clearly, the Windex solution is key! I've already passed this along to her and hope to get the news next time we talk or email that she got it off just fine.

Anne, thank you, from another Anne!!!

This just happened to me. After 19 years of marriage and 7 births, I realized I hadn't taken my ring off at all for several years. My knuckles had expanded with all of my pregnancies and I was afraid my rings would have to be cut off. I searched the internet, soaped, oiled, lotioned, froze etc. over a weeks time all to no avail. I came across the Windex solution and thought it wasn't possible at all. I sprayed my finger well and twisted and pulled (and it did hurt) but the ring popped off! I was so ecstatic I nearly cried. I really didn't think I would be able to save my rings and I'm so happy I still have them intact!

So, I second the Windex motion!

This is pretty common!

The best time to try to take it off is first thing in the morning, when body temperature is lower. And making her finger/hand cold will help too, as our fingers are 'thinner' when colder. She can try soaking the hand in cold water for several minutes.

Spraying her finger liberally with Windex is a favorite too. And the ring should always been turned and twisted, in an effort to remove it, never pulled off.

Other ways are lubricant like Astoglide, using shampoo or conditioner while in the shower, dish soap and butter.

Hopefully one of these tricks will help and she won't have to get them cut off. Let us know if something works!