my fsh levels are 88

I read that around 25 is peri menopause. 50 is menopause. Is 88 high? what phase is this? i have no symptoms other than weight gain. Could this be contributing? I gained 20lbs in 4 months and CAN'T get if off.

Your age is one good indicator of menopause so if you are over 40, perimenopause may be beginning and if you are over 50, then menopause may be what's going on. Menopausal (or peri) symptoms like missing periods, irregularity, hot flashes, dry skin and hair, mood swings or low libido are seen in addition to weight gain (I realize I am making menopause out to be hell on earth but these are a list of possible symptoms, not everyone gets all these - or any!) so NOT having any other symptoms does not necessarily mean that menopause isn't on the horizon.

An FSH level of 88 in a woman under 35 is very high and usually means infertility (ovarian failure) at that time.

An FSH level alone does not indicate a "stage" of life, per se, because there are other variables like age, general health and more. Levels can be much higher for some women (like you) than a menopausal woman who may have levels of 50 or 55.

I hope this helps and additional feedback from you will help us help you further!